Myles Kennedy

BUK

The band was Paul reed Smith's backing band.t was a cancer benefit for Johns Hopkins (a world-class university hospital in Baltimore MD). Paul Reed Smith introduced Myles. He only sang 2 songs, Immigrant Song and then Rock & Roll.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I feel ya, M.

Thought there would be more love on this board for a talent like Myles. I'll be pushing his solo stuff AND the new Alter Bridge CD when it is eventually released. He's an amazing guy.

Thought there would be more love on this board for a talent like Myles. I'll be pushing his solo stuff AND the new Alter Bridge CD when it is eventually released. He's an amazing guy.

Ok, I'm gonna try to be as constructive as possible in my critic here.. I don't know, he's voice is too nasal for my taste and listening to a guy singing covers doesn't usually turns me on, especially not if the originals is perfect as they are. Of course, I can hear he is an ok singer and musician, no doubt. But personally I am not a fan of high pitched voices either, Plant and a couple of other guys, being an exception. Neither does a great deal of Zeppelin influences nessecarily make an artist great.

S,

Had a chance to listen to your band. You've got a cool niche there. That pre-psychedelia 60's, stripped down sound is pretty cool. That sound reminds me of being a pre-teen back in the day. It was the beginning of my musical obsession. I hit my stride in the 70's and from prog to proto-metal to punk and new wave. I think I have more of taste for complexity and variety in composition because of it.

All that being said. Myles was much more of a Jeff Buckley influenced singer in his early day. He's got a corny or earnest approach to writing that is kinda like the more syrupy parts of Journey. He's got real anthemic chops, though. I guess I'm a sap for that stuff now and then.

I like his blues chops too. The fact that he's a great guit player gives him real cred in my book.

As far as his Zep fandom, it's kind of a no brainer for anyone influenced by 70's music to recognize Zep as the shit. I was more interested in seeing what "New" influence would do for the three J's. Myles could render Zep tunes like Farlow did on the Outrider tour.

Now being able to see what JPJ brings to a "modern" artist like Josh Homme you can see the simpatico. Although I think Myles has the ability to play with any of these guys, his approach to music much less cynical. Both have their value. I cannot imagine TCV doing a love song, for instance.

Mayfield Four - Summer Girl

The more muscular, almost proggy (Listen to the end)-Coming Home - Alter Bridge

Mayfield Four - Believe (influenced by Journey's Wheel In the Sky IMHO)

I appreciate your reasoned assessment.

S,

Had a chance to listen to your band. You've got a cool niche there. That pre-psychedelia 60's, stripped down sound is pretty cool. That sound reminds me of being a pre-teen back in the day. It was the beginning of my musical obsession. I hit my stride in the 70's and from prog to proto-metal to punk and new wave. I think I have more of taste for complexity and variety in composition because of it.

All that being said. Myles was much more of a Jeff Buckley influenced singer in his early day. He's got a corny or earnest approach to writing that is kinda like the more syrupy parts of Journey. He's got real anthemic chops, though. I guess I'm a sap for that stuff now and then.

I like his blues chops too. The fact that he's a great guit player gives him real cred in my book.

As far as his Zep fandom, it's kind of a no brainer for anyone influenced by 70's music to recognize Zep as the shit. I was more interested in seeing what "New" influence would do for the three J's. Myles could render Zep tunes like Farlow did on the Outrider tour.

Now being able to see what JPJ brings to a "modern" artist like Josh Homme you can see the simpatico. Although I think Myles has the ability to play with any of these guys, his approach to music much less cynical. Both have their value. I cannot imagine TCV doing a love song, for instance.

Mayfield Four - Summer Girl

The more muscular, almost proggy (Listen to the end)-Coming Home - Alter Bridge

Mayfield Four - Believe (influenced by Journey's Wheel In the Sky IMHO)

I appreciate your reasoned assessment.

Thanks for taking your time to visit our myspace. It's much appreciated.

Like you, I have crossed many paths when it comes to music, but somehow my taste have always been coloured by my love for the blues. I took a listen to the songs you posted above, and I really liked the first part of Summer Girl. I like a lot of folk and singer/songwriter artists, which I clearly hear in this song. The second part I would have loved back in the early 90's and same goes for Coming Home, I guess. Back then, when Pearl Jam, Blind Melon and bands alike ruled my CD-player. :D

In a way, I can still appreciate listening to one or two tracks by that kind of music, but I think I just grew tired of the style. Vocalists like Eddie Vedder, the Soundgarden dude, Layne Staley and Scott Weiland (sp?) forever ruined rock music by influencing every second singer to sing in their style (kinda like how Whitney Houston and Maria Carey have ruined the vocal style in modern r'n'B ) LOL

Unfortunately much of Myles style fall into that category too, which you understand, is not my cup of tea.

However, I have every respect for anyone into this kind of music as it's all about different tastes. Even if it doesn't appeal to me, I sure can hear the talent and understand why people like it.

Speaking of progressive music, I like a lot of that too, but I am biased towards anything heavy sounding in prog-music. I can't stand bands like Dream Theatre for example. Progressive roots music is more in my taste.

I remember we've had another discussion earlier, about Thornley, I think.. Sorry for jumping on you about another artist you've made a thread about, sure wasn't my intention to do it twice! ;) But, as always, it's great discussing music with you.

Bro,

No offense taken. Iron sharpens iron. I always appreciate the give and take. I respect peeps that can justify their taste with reason.

I have the same take on Dream Theater. They grate on me. They are over-the-top-cheesy IMHO.

As an artist, I know that you admire another's craft. Many artist's become insecure and myopic about their creations as a defense mechanism. The market/fan sometimes exhibits that behavior. I think that this is self destructive and leads to where we are in mainstream commercial music. I guess that's just where we're at.

Great convo. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Blog from Slash

Today at 6:55pm

Hey, how is everybody?

Things are ramping up towards the release of my solo record, there's a lot of cool shit going on.

But, more importantly, there is the George Lopez's "Help Haiti Benefit" show at the Nokia Theater tomorrow night. I am performing a couple songs with Beth Hart. Who, if you are not familiar with her is a 1st rate blues/R&R singer/song writer. But go to click here for the list of special guests & click here to get tickets.

Raising cash for devastated Haiti has to be at the forefront of everybody's minds right now & will need to be for some time so we can help them rebuild.

On another note, Ernie Ball, Guitar Center & I have a couple new campaigns, the details of which are at ernieball.com & yournextrecord.com. I'm really into the idea of inspiring young guitar players & discovering new talented R&R bands & unleashing them unto the world. Up & coming Rock & Roll talent is getting largely overlooked in the business these days & I want to change that.

Also, I want to announce that Myles Kennedy is going to be fronting the band for the upcoming tour. Something I'm really stoked about. Myles sang a killer track on the record & I think he is by far one of the best Rock & Roll singers out there today. I'm really honored & proud to be working with him. I will announce the other band members shortly.

Lastly, we're starting to route the tour. I want all my fans to follow me on Twitter & tell me what city/country they're from & to tell all their friends & family in that city/country, who are fans, to do the same. I want to get a really good idea on where my fans are, even the obvious major cities & focus the tour around that. So if you're from Alaska or Zimbabwe or anywhere in between I want to hear from you. Follow me at Twitter.com/slashhudson

That's it, I'm excited about the new record & about the band I'm putting together for the tour. I've been jamming around town with everybody & their brother for the last year & I can't wait to get out & do my own show finally. It's going to be a gas.

See you soon,

Slash iiii|; ),

Updated 33 minutes ago

I think this guy is extremely overrated. He can sing, no doubt about it, but he does nothing for me. There's nothing unique about his voice, it's quite forgetful.

He is getting mentioned everywhere as this great singer, and a lot of people are jumping on the ass kissing bandwagon. I think a lot of this is due to a really dry talent pool. There just isn't too many options.

Yeah, I get it. I was just bustin' your chops. I guess I just beg to differ. I push him because in the big scheme of things, he's a virtual unknown.

I really like the music he writes, the guitar riffs he plays, and the voice he expresses himself with. Just my opinion. For me it is memorable, and a good alternative to what is served in the mainstream. Just sayin'

I don't know enough about his music to comment on it, but based off his voice alone, I don't really understand some of the comments I see. He can sing great, but I don't think he is going to become a big name.

Part of your comment shows the problem: the mainstream sucks, so we have to settle for any guy that comes out and is decent. There just isn't anyone out there anymore. If you were to throw Myles Kennedy into any decade before this one, we'd never even hear his name, in my opinion.

Archived