There is a jet aeroplane noise on 'Going to California'...

k5ymo

I read in a book that when recording 'IV' at Headley Grange, a jet flew overhead during the 'Going to California' take, and as it was rather sureal, Page & Plant left it on the final mix.

I am straining my ears listening for the aformentioned jet on the album track. Anyone know when it appears, or am I thinking of the noise on another track, and the jet is not on 'Going to California'?

If it is on 'Going to California', the time count on the track would be greatly appreciated...and save my poor old lugs from further strain!!

G'day from Perth, Western Australia

Kenny

First ten seconds of Black Country Woman:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TxXYF3WTwTs

1972Stargroves.jpg

Robert Plant Recording At Stargroves, 1972

Photos by Eddie Kramer

During the recording of "Black Country Woman" we decided to place Jimmy and John Paul outside in order to record their acoustic guitars with no acoustical room interference. When Robert sang his lead vocal we tried to capture the same sound. However just as he was about to sing, an airplane droned overhead. On the final mix both my comment (paraphrased) "Er, what about that Airplane…?"and his terse reply "Na, leave it in…" are preserved for posterity on the album. -- Eddie Kramer

1972Stargroves.jpg

Photos by Eddie Kramer

During the recording of "Black Country Woman" we decided to place Jimmy and John Paul outside in order to record their acoustic guitars with no acoustical room interference. When Robert sang his lead vocal we tried to capture the same sound. However just as he was about to sing, an airplane droned overhead. On the final mix both my comment (paraphrased) "Er, what about that Airplane…?"and his terse reply "Na, leave it in…" are preserved for posterity on the album. -- Eddie Kramer

I always loved that it was left in, makes me smile everytime I hear it :D

1972Stargroves.jpg

Photos by Eddie Kramer

"D'oh, why you little..."of course it is BCW!! How stupid of me.

Thanks Steve...just cranked it up on the stereo, and yeah!!

Isn't it great that little things like this creep into a record, and arn't rubbed out? Fantastic!!.

Note: Just dug out my 'LZ IV' book by Andy Fyfe, and on page 83, when speaking about 'Going to California' he states the 'At one point you can actually hear a plane going over..' Must have mixed the BCW story with GTC. I've been straining the ears for the phantom GTC plane for AGES!!

Thanks for the answer, and regards from a sunny Perth, Western Australia

"D'oh, why you little..."of course it is BCW!! How stupid of me.

Thanks Steve...just cranked it up on the stereo, and yeah!!

Isn't it great that little things like this creep into a record, and arn't rubbed out? Fantastic!!.

Note: Just dug out my 'LZ IV' book by Andy Fyfe, and on page 83, when speaking about 'Going to California' he states the 'At one point you can actually hear a plane going over..' Must have mixed the BCW story with GTC. I've been straining the ears for the phantom GTC plane for AGES!!

Thanks for the answer, and regards from a sunny Perth, Western Australia

That is not a good book. No offense, but Andy called "When the Levee Breaks" arguably the best rock track of all time. I'd say he didn't research his facts that well either.

Great pix from Eddie Kramer by the way.

Archived