One Tree Hill Episode

I was always led to believe that LZ was very protective of their music and how it's "exploited", especially when it comes to Hollywood movies. You recall the scene in Wayne's World where they weren't allowed to play or even resemble anything near to SWTH. In School of Rock, Jack Black pleaded to LZ to allow them to use Immigrant Song in the movie. LZ obliged. Great scene!

However, I was watching an episode of One Tree Hill recently, and they finished the episode with a COMPLETE rendition of "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You". I was shocked to hear this! Did LZ approve this? I'm sure they did, but you get my point.

DT

I haven't seen the show but I know the licensing of the song may be affected by its having an extra composer's credit (Anne Bredon). I recall a Hendrix biopic where the producers obviously couldn't get permission to use any original Hendrix tunes, so they could only show him playing "Like a Rolling Stone," "Wild Thing," "All Along the Watchtower," and "The Star-Spangled Banner," all of which, of couse, were written by other people. I don't know a lot about publishing issues, but that would be my guess in this case.

I haven't seen the show but I know the licensing of the song may be affected by its having an extra composer's credit (Anne Bredon). I recall a Hendrix biopic where the producers obviously couldn't get permission to use any original Hendrix tunes, so they could only show him playing "Like a Rolling Stone," "Wild Thing," "All Along the Watchtower," and "The Star-Spangled Banner," all of which, of couse, were written by other people. I don't know a lot about publishing issues, but that would be my guess in this case.

All you have to do is find out what publishing company has the right's and pay them a synchronization fee, they will want some details of how it will appear. Of coarse you must get permission from the original writer too. B)

• 9 years later...

Led Zeppelin have always been my favorite band. I was in fact shocked how much I really liked the One Tree Hill show. And then During the most intense episode ever I find this amazingly heart-wrenching Montage done to one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs in full in fact. I knew the shows writer was also a huge Led Zeppelin fan. very evident in his episode namings. After many had pleaded to be able to use material in a TV show and failed his presentation had won them over and OMG it was done perfectly. Chills and tears every time