Best Drummer

Zep 4 Life

So I've listened to a lot of classic rock and my ears love a band who has fantastic drumming in their songs. Seeing as My favorite band is Zeppelin, and this is of course a Led Zeppelin forum, I feel that the overall consensus number 1 drummer would be John Bonham. I realize that not EVERYBODY here feels that way, but I think most do.

Anyways: Who is the best drummer not named John Bonham??

To me their are a few good choices and I hope you guys have some different ones that I either forgot or have yet to hear.

Keith Moon (The Who)

Neil Pert (Rush)

Michael Shrieve (Santana) aka the guy who had the amazing drum solo at Woodstock 69

Mitch Mitchel (Jimi Hendrix)

Ian Paice (Deep Purple)

Ginger Baker or Keith Moon, but I think Keith may have been just a fluke. I don't think there is anything all that technical about good rock drumming. The guys that try to be too technical are more or less guys who can't think outside the box. That's why it's not hard for me to imagine that The Who could have gotten a replacement that was more like Keith had they gone with an unknown.

Hello Everyone!

There are some great names mentioned and I respect everyone of them. But for me I gotta go with Jason (You said not named John Bonham :D )

I posted this on the related Zeppelin Video thread, but thought it would be fitting here as well. Call it loyalty, whatever....but he is my choice :drumz:

John Bonham Tribute by Jason Bonham at Guitar Center's Drum-Off 2009

I grew up listening to bands with drummers like Carl Palmer (ELP), Bill Bruford (Yes), the Who ( Keith Moon) Ian Paice (Deep Purple) so you can't imagine how hard a question that is.

But ... for the game's sake, if I had a gun pointed to my head, I'd say Keith Moon, his drumming is just something you wouldn't even be able to write the music to.

Archived