Bomb Scare in NYC's Times Square

BUCK'EYE' DOC

They hate us because we are there and to a lesser extent, support of Israel.

Why are we there?

Because they have what we need.

Oil.

You will never ever convince me otherwise.

What other third world area is the West so interested in?

Osama became enraged at the de facto occupation and Westernization of Saudi Arabia.

Off to Afghaistan, then The Sudan, then Afghanistan again.

9-11.

Invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Until the West is weened off of foreign oil, or finds alternative energy, this will continue.

edited for spelling

Yes, Israel. Always the scapegoat and the most hated nation besides us.

Well, they need to deal with that because Israel kicked their ass but good in 1967.

No, not to the same extent. Sorry, and I know i've said this before, but I live in an area with the largest Arab population in the US and my job requires me to do business with quite a few of them. No, they are definitely not like other people from the western countries. They can be very confrontational, especially when it comes to paying a bill, yet they have no problem taking your money. Sorry, i'm not trying to stereotype, but i've had too many instances that I know what i'm talking about. In fact I told one a few weeks ago, after he called me a m-effin liar and a cheat, to take his ass back to Iraq if he didn't like it, and I walked out on him. When you live in another's country, you adapt to their customs, not the other way around.

I lived in a predominantly Arab and Muslim country for five years and on the whole I found people to be very gracious although their culture seemed oppressive to me. I do think in the US there is a problem when any immigrant group is living together in large numbers. They tend not to assimilate as quickly as we native-born Americans would like.

I lived in a predominantly Arab and Muslim country for five years and on the whole I found people to be very gracious although their culture seemed oppressive to me. I do think in the US there is a problem when any immigrant group is living together in large numbers. They tend not to assimilate as quickly as we native-born Americans would like.

I can agree with some of that. A large percentage of Americans are from immigrants in the late 19th or early 20th centuries. I'm included in that. Nearly all had to deal with the same adjustment period and endure racism as well. The difference, to me anyways, is that the Arabs don't seem willing to adjust to anything. They often seem defiant at times.

I'm usually an easy going person who can get along with anyone and actually like talking to people from other parts of the world. But, if you spit on me, I spit back.

I can agree with some of that. A large percentage of Americans are from immigrants in the late 19th or early 20th centuries. I'm included in that. Nearly all had to deal with the same adjustment period and endure racism as well. The difference, to me anyways, is that the Arabs don't seem willing to adjust to anything. They often seem defiant at times.

I'm usually an easy going person who can get along with anyone and actually like talking to people from other parts of the world. But, if you spit on me, I spit back.

I think part of the problem is they are taught to believe that they are better than the rest of us - and they aren't the only ethnic group that believes this unfortunately!

Islam is one of the few major religions that has failed to have a renaissance, a transition from old world to new world.

I think this is the core problem.

And unfortunately, I don't think it will come until there's been a severe upheaval, whether from the fallout from some as yet uncommitted enormously heinous act (i.e., something even bigger/worse than 9/11), or from the culmination of increasingly frequent routinely heinous acts (homicide bombings, beheadings, etc.), and Islam finds itself globally isolated in a guilt-by-association scenario.

We constantly hear that only 5-10% of Muslims worldwide could be considered radical, militant, or actual terrorists.

But with something like 1.8 billion Muslims worldwide, we're talking 90-180 million.

The remaining 90-95% of Muslims have got to make it absolutely clear in no uncertain terms that they in no way support those 5-10% who wreak havoc throughout the world.

Presently, you can rarely find Muslims who will speak out directly against specific acts of terrorism when challenged to do so, instead choosing to parse words by responding with defenses of Islam as a religion - "Islam is a religion of peace", or "Islam does not condone senseless violence".

You can say that's not a big deal, but failing to actively and specifically disapprove of a particular act implies tacit approval, or at least acceptance or rationalization of said act.

And when it gets bad enough, the rest of the world will turn on them and they will be forced to evolve, and enter the new age.

Archived