Bomb Scare in NYC's Times Square

BUCK'EYE' DOC

Bearing in mind that this latest cretin who wished to carry out mass murder only became a U.S. citizen one year ago,is it not time for civilised countries to start banning immigrants from muslim ones?

My answer to your question is a definite NO. I don't like radical Islamic terrorists (which we all can agree upon), but banning all people from Muslim countries who wish to enter the United States is not the solution. In addition to giving terrorists another reason for trying to destroy us, it would most definately piss off OPEC. And we know what happened last time OPEC decided to impose an embargo against us right? An oil embargo by OPEC would send our still fragile economy into a depression.

That being said, it is necessary to attempt to weed out individuals who pose a potential risk. How you would do that I have no idea.

Anjin-san, That might also have something to do with the fact that the Israeli airport security is taken care of by the army, not a private company that is the lowest bidder.

Luck and watchful citizens (coupled with a thankfully botched bomb) helped. Fortuitous circumstances can only save the day so many times.

Hi all,

My answer to your question is a definite NO. I don't like radical Islamic terrorists (which we all can agree upon), but banning all people from Muslim countries who wish to enter the United States is not the solution. In addition to giving terrorists another reason for trying to destroy us, it would most definately piss off OPEC. And we know what happened last time OPEC decided to impose an embargo against us right? An oil embargo by OPEC would send our still fragile economy into a depression.

That being said, it is necessary to attempt to weed out individuals who pose a potential risk. How you would do that I have no idea.

"With Katie Couric drawing him out, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg agreed the Times Square car bombing was likely “homegrown” as he proceeded, in an interview excerpt run on Monday's CBS Evening News, to speculate it could have been placed by “somebody with a political agenda who doesn't like the health care bill or something. It could be anything.”

Could be “anything,” but the first thing Bloomberg thinks of are those who don't like ObamaCare, presumably conservatives or Tea Party activists."

Do you smell the 'stinking thinking'? :huh:

No,the alleged bomber had made how many visits to Pakistan?Clearly,again a failure of HLS,FBI,NSA,etc,or our PC perversion. :slapface:

KB

I am a Proud and Loyal American, and I say that we round up and arrest or even Kill any any potential "terrorists" that would even consider killing innocent American-born citizens. If these stupid "Islamic fanatics" are willing to kill any innocent American citizens here in the United States of America, then I say we KILL all of them before they even get a chance at killing US(A). I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND I AM WILLING TO KILL THEM BEFORE THEY HARM OR KILL ANY OF MY FELLOW AMERICANS.

You have watched too many action flicks. In the real world, it doesn't work that way.

For one thing, for every one of them you kill, there are ten more to take their place. You see, as much as you and I hate them, they hate us a hundred times worse and really are willing to die for a cause. It's a proven fact that you can't kill your way to safety. And further more, to destroy your enemy, you must understand how they think, which I don't think too many people here do. We were lucky this guy was an amateur and didn't succeed. And give a shout out to the law enforcement officials that caught this guy before he bootscooted off to Dubai where we couldn't hope to extradite him.

Hi Patrycia,all,

Anjin-san, That might also have something to do with the fact that the Israeli airport security is taken care of by the army, not a private company that is the lowest bidder.

Luck and watchful citizens (coupled with a thankfully botched bomb) helped. Fortuitous circumstances can only save the day so many times.

Agreed.I'd wish we take this threat more seriously.

KB ( :rolleyes: )

You have watched too many action flicks. In the real world, it doesn't work that way.

For one thing, for every one of them you kill, there are ten more to take their place. You see, as much as you and I hate them, they hate us a hundred times worse and really are willing to die for a cause. It's a proven fact that you can't kill your way to safety. And further more, to destroy your enemy, you must understand how they think, which I don't think too many people here do. We were lucky this guy was an amateur and didn't succeed. And give a shout out to the law enforcement officials that caught this guy before he bootscooted off to Dubai where we couldn't hope to extradite him.

Then tell us how they think.Please,.. and give us your wisdom on how to solve the problem.

KB :blink:

Hi Dan,all,

If i knew the answer to that, i wouldn't be replying to you :wacko:

But you did,kind of.

Let me tell you,IMHO,they hate us,as you stated.Why?We have a right to choose,they want to tell us and make us have no choice,on what,everything.How we act,who we do worship or do not.There is no choice in their minds,it is their version of Allah or the highway.

Back to the coward,...

KB

Well the flip side is that it can make people far more resolute. Years ago I was at a train station in England that got evacuated. I was quite frightened having never experienced something like that before, but everybody else acted like it was par for the course.

But I see your point; wars linger on in people long after the peace treaties have been signed.

Vigilance and preemptive measures (not vigilantism or panic that descends into sweeping and dangerous us versus them rhetoric) is paramount.

TBH Pat, I was referring more to what fear does to people in general. Some hide their heads in the sand, some stand up to fight. The sad thing about terrorism is that we have to realize that it is never really going to go away. If it isn't the Islamic version, it will be somebody elses version. People need to be vigilant about this but they also need to find a way to function without having it on their minds 24/7. The far reaching effects of fear on our daily lives, our families, our economies etc. is what I personally, fear the most.

Hi Dan,all,

But you did,kind of.

Let me tell you,IMHO,they hate us,as you stated.Why?We have a right to choose,they want to tell us and make us have no choice,on what,everything.How we act,who we do worship or do not.There is no choice in their minds,it is their version of Allah or the highway.

Back to the coward,...

KB

they hate us, because in their minds, we indulge ourselves in sinful acts. Their life is centered around serving Allah and that is the main purpose of everything they do. Like I said in a post earlier to Big Dan, I have no use for most Muslims, as I feel they are a miserable lot. There are exceptions of course, but not too many. But having said that, it doesn't mean every other one is a terrorist, so it's important to find out who they are and target them. It's not an easy thing to do, but we seemed to do a pretty good job during the Cold War of snuffing out Soviet spies and I would think this is along the same line as that. So in answer to your question, it would be superb intelligence alongside quick action, and keep it quiet. Don't publish it, so they can make martyr's out of them.

"Oh, Hassan Al-Bin Gazi?"

"Haven't seen him around lately!"

"Have you?"

or let the drones pay them a visit. either way, it works.

There's no way we'll ever get rid of terrorism, no matter where it comes from.

What bothers me is when it becomes political. That's something both sides of the aisle should stand together on and quit blaming each other for. Period!

and btw, i have trouble ciphering some of your posts, so i hope you weren't calling me a coward.

they hate us, because in their minds, we indulge ourselves in sinful acts. Their life is centered around serving Allah and that is the main purpose of everything they do. Like I said in a post earlier to Big Dan, I have no use for most Muslims, as I feel they are a miserable lot. There are exceptions of course, but not too many. But having said that, it doesn't mean every other one is a terrorist, so it's important to find out who they are and target them. It's not an easy thing to do, but we seemed to do a pretty good job during the Cold War of snuffing out Soviet spies and I would think this is along the same line as that. So in answer to your question, it would be superb intelligence alongside quick action, and keep it quiet. Don't publish it, so they can make martyr's out of them.

"Have you?"

What bothers me is when it becomes political. That's something both sides of the aisle should stand together on and quit blaming each other for. Period!

and btw, i have trouble ciphering some of your posts, so i hope you weren't calling me a coward.

Dan, a little while back you replied in another thread (to SAJ, I believe, not me)

If we emptied our pockets and threw everything on the table, we would probably be surprised at how much we do agree on.

I actually do believe you.

"Have you?"

That's a terrible generalisation to say about Muslims being a miserable lot. I've been to Muslim countries and I work with a lot of Muslims and my experiences have been completely opposite. Yes some are miserable but isn't that the case of Americans, French, Germans etc.?

Hi dan,all,

"Have you?"

Excellent post! :thumbsup: No,I am not calling you a coward,at all.I was referring to this person who tried to kill people in NYC.Sorry.

KB

Hi 9,all,

That's a terrible generalisation to say about Muslims being a miserable lot. I've been to Muslim countries and I work with a lot of Muslims and my experiences have been completely opposite. Yes some are miserable but isn't that the case of Americans, French, Germans etc.?

Maybe,but do the governments in Muslim countries,who do nothing to help the common person?Do you know how much Saudi Arabia gives to Hamas?What do you think the average Palestinian shop owner makes?

KB

TBH Pat, I was referring more to what fear does to people in general. Some hide their heads in the sand, some stand up to fight. The sad thing about terrorism is that we have to realize that it is never really going to go away. If it isn't the Islamic version, it will be somebody elses version. People need to be vigilant about this but they also need to find a way to function without having it on their minds 24/7. The far reaching effects of fear on our daily lives, our families, our economies etc. is what I personally, fear the most.

I hear you, Ally, and no doubt that is part of the strategy - even failed attempts create this type of atmosphere. Terrorism acts, both executed or failed, are a kind of currency. I just hope that over time they don't have such a strong value. That's not to say that people aren't/shouldn't be/won't be scared, but feared-based responses tend to be reactionary, and often end up creating a larger problem.

It's exactly because terrorism isn't going away that people ought to consider how they want to choose to live their lives. This kind of awareness isn't a bad thing especially given the slowly changing faces of nations through widespread immigration and subsequent pluralism (which is being challenged with said acts of terrorism, but should not be abandoned because of them).

Garrison Keillor: A Bomber in Times Square

This editorial sums up the gist of what I was referring to in my original post: that no one, even those within one or two blocks from Times Square, knew about the bomb or were concerned about it while the events were unfolding or afterward.

By Garrison Keillor

The Hullalbaloo in Times Square

I often walk through Times Square where the Incompetent Bomber parked his 1993 Nissan Pathfinder last Saturday with the alarm clocks wired to the M88 firecrackers in the canister between the five-gallon gasoline containers and the three propane tanks, the bags of nonexplosive fertilizer, and so I take a personal interest in the case.

I’m fond of Times Square, which is an out-of-body experience offered for free to the general public, the colossal flash and razzmatazz of 10-story LED hi-def imagery rolling and bouncing among the JumboTrons and billboards in the glass canyons above the statue of Father Duffy by the TKTS booth. It is pure hullabaloo, millions in advertising canceling itself out by sheer overload, and one block away is beautiful Bryant Park and the serene reading rooms of the New York Public Library, where, for all you know, the scholarly gentleman across the table from you may be studying the art of explosives. It’s a free country.

Saturday night, at the time the Nissan was discovered and cops started to evacuate the area, I was at a show on 43rd Street two blocks away, unaware of any threat, and I maintained unawareness for the next several hours, catching a taxi on Sixth Avenue and proceeding to a Chinese restaurant on 65th and packing away some giant prawns and fried wonton in the company of others. We ate freely and jabbered about all sorts of things, and nobody came running up to ask if we’d heard about the car bomb. People in Williston, North Dakota, probably got the news before I did. This often happens in the Communications Capital of America: Large events transpire two blocks away and you sit happily ingesting your Seven Joys of Tofu and reminiscing about your childhood in Anoka, Minnesota. That’s what I love about the city, that feeling of being utterly out of touch, as if you were in the Australian outback.

Bomb experts did not agree on the deadliness of the device. One retired New York bomb guy said it came within a “millisecond” of creating a fireball 30 feet high that could’ve killed hundreds of people and “caused horrific lung damage and fried the hair and faces of anyone within a 50-yard radius.” He was the guy the tabloid Daily News decided to quote. The Times quoted another bomb guy who referred to the device dismissively as “a Rube Goldberg contraption” — “It’s the ‘swing-the-arm-with-the-shoe-that-hits-the-ball-and-knocks-over-a-stick -that-knocks-something-off-a-shelf,’ and it is all supposed to work.” He did not offer a scenario of tourists with fried faces stumbling down 45th Street, clutching their scorched lungs. The bomber, he said, thought he’d invented the atomic bomb but was somewhat short on ability. The Daily News guy recalled a car bomb years ago that blew the hood of the car 21 stories into the air, suggesting that this might’ve been of that magnitude. The Times guy was slightly amused by the perp as being ambitious but certainly no Ted Kaczynski. A knowledge-impaired terrorist.

Both bomb guys agreed on the fact that the bomb had not detonated.

By early Tuesday morning, the cops had put the collar on a Pakistani gentleman at JFK, and now, as I write, hundreds of detectives and agents of the Joint Terrorism Task Force have set out to gather too much information about him.

The Times reports that New York City operates 82 surveillance video cameras between 34th and 51st streets and Sixth and Eighth avenues, and I hope the city fathers aren’t mesmerized by Cheneyesque visions of fireballs and fried faces and persuaded to station 82 officers to observe those monitors in eight-hour shifts, a mind-numbing occupation.

We have more than enough security people in this country now. Highly trained TSA operatives with headsets for instant communication stand by the scanners in airports in Boise and Santa Barbara and remind you to put your computer in a separate bin and remove your shoes. You walk around any downtown and see all the beefy guys in fictitious uniforms whose job it is to stay awake and scowl. This is not the same country I grew up in, but never mind. Next Saturday I will be back in Times Square, and I plan to walk around and enjoy the crowds and the lights. I’ll walk across 45th Street past the Nissan’s parking spot to the Eighth Avenue subway and take it uptown. Call me irresponsible, but I may stop and think of the millions of dollars spent on self-erasing advertising cascading mindlessly overhead. God bless America and now let’s go eat.

Hi 9,all,

Maybe,but do the governments in Muslim countries,who do nothing to help the common person?Do you know how much Saudi Arabia gives to Hamas?What do you think the average Palestinian shop owner makes?

KB

What's that got to do with calling them ALL 'miserable"? The generalising and blanket-slurring in this thread is vile.

they hate us, because in their minds, we indulge ourselves in sinful acts. Their life is centered around serving Allah and that is the main purpose of .

They hate us because we are there and to a lesser extent, support of Israel.

Why are we there?

Because they have what we need.

Oil.

You will never ever convince me otherwise.

What other third world area is the West so interested in?

Osama became enraged at the de facto occupation and Westernization of Saudi Arabia.

Off to Afghaistan, then The Sudan, then Afghanistan again.

9-11.

Invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Until the West is weened off of foreign oil, or finds alternative energy, this will continue.

edited for spelling

No, not to the same extent. Sorry, and I know i've said this before, but I live in an area with the largest Arab population in the US and my job requires me to do business with quite a few of them. No, they are definitely not like other people from the western countries. They can be very confrontational, especially when it comes to paying a bill, yet they have no problem taking your money. Sorry, i'm not trying to stereotype, but i've had too many instances that I know what i'm talking about. In fact I told one a few weeks ago, after he called me a m-effin liar and a cheat, to take his ass back to Iraq if he didn't like it, and I walked out on him. When you live in another's country, you adapt to their customs, not the other way around.

Dan, a little while back you replied in another thread (to SAJ, I believe, not me)

If we emptied our pockets and threw everything on the table, we would probably be surprised at how much we do agree on.

I actually do believe you.

When it comes to the safety of the citizens of this country, no matter what color, creed, weird sexual orientation, etc., etc., it is top priority of the leadership to protect us, no matter the cost.

Archived