Aerosmith awe-struck by Page

Michael Page

Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry says the band will never top performing with Jimmy Page.

Aerosmith's Joe Perry says the band can never top performing with Jimmy Page.

The guitarist compared playing with the Led Zeppelin founder in August 1990 to meeting the Pope and admits it did more than fulfill his childhood dreams.

He said: "I would never have thought it would have been possible growing up in Boston in the late 60s, when the idea of being in London was like for a Catholic going to the Vatican, the holy grail. The fact that 20 years down the line I'd not only know Jimmy Page but be able to play with him, that was beyond anything I thought could ever happen."

The 59-year-old 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing' hitmaker said that his band always identified with the legendary rockers.

He said: "People call Aerosmith the American Stones, but we were always the American Zeppelin."

And he admitted that hanging out with Joe was almost as great as playing a gig with him.

He explained: "He travelled with us on the bus and we hung out with him for the whole weekend. It blows my mind to think that Jimmy would think that much of the band that he'd want to spend that much time hanging out with us and then play with us."

August 18, 1990 (Sat)

Castle Donnington

Donnington, Leicestershire, England

Jimmy traveled to the Monsters of Rock site with Joe Perry and Steven Tyler aboard Aerosmith's tour bus. He granted a backstage interview to Radio One's Mick Wall prior to surprise guest performance with Aerosmith. Aerosmith was billed with Whitesnake and Poison. Jimmy watched from the wings; jammed with Aerosmith during their encore on 'Train Kept A Rollin'.

August 20, 1990 (Mon)

Marquee

London, England

Jimmy jammed with Aerosmith during the soundcheck for tonight's gig. He also joined them during the show for a pre-encore jam on 'Ain't Got You', 'Think About It', 'Red House' (brief power outage prior to Page solo) 'Immigrant Song', and 'Train Kept A Rollin'.

MTV Europe filmed both performances and some clips are in circulation. The soundcheck was filmed privately and I have a copy in my archive.

You might want to give a citation next time you quote from an article, Michael Page, just to clarify where and when these quotes took place.

It will also save legal action being taken against this board, too.

And if you need any further evidence the depths to which Aerosmith has fallen just look at how Joe Perry is referred to as the "I Don't Want To

Miss A Thing" hitmaker"...not "Walk This Way", not "Sick As A Dog", "Back in the Saddle", "Sweet Emotion" or any number of great rockers

BUT a cheesy movie song, fer chrissakes. Joe must have thrown up when he read that.

You might want to give a citation next time you quote from an article, Michael Page, just to clarify where and when these quotes took place.

It will also save legal action being taken against this board, too.

And if you need any further evidence the depths to which Aerosmith has fallen just look at how Joe Perry is referred to as the "I Don't Want To

Miss A Thing" hitmaker"...not "Walk This Way", not "Sick As A Dog", "Back in the Saddle", "Sweet Emotion" or any number of great rockers

BUT a cheesy movie song, fer chrissakes. Joe must have thrown up when he read that.

This article was taken from EarthTimes.org lastnight was when they posted this on their website. I just was looking in BING the search engine and searched Jimmy Page's name in the News section and that article was the first topic that poped up.The date of the article is 8/07/2010

Here is the url [url=http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/news/338408,aerosmith-awe-struck-by-page.html]Aerosmith awe-struck by Page

• 9 months later...

This from John Bionelli:

Aerosmith - 02 Arena - June 15, 2010

I was last there in 2007 when I was very fortunate to see Led Zeppelin play there on a freezing December evening. This time it was Aerosmith's turn. Steven went out to see openers TAB the Band play as well as Billie Perry and the paterfamilias Joe Perry. Next up were the aforementioned Airborne who Joe was very familiar with as they were on the bill with Joe and Motley Crue on the "Dead of Winter Tour" last January and February. Jimmy Page came to the show to show his support as he is friendly with all the guys. Jimmy spent a little time with all the members of the band individually which I thought was cool. He was also very gracious and took pictures with virtually all the members of the crew. Next it was show time. I got to tell ya folks I have seen my fair share of shows but this one was in the top 5 shows of the past 15 years. Everything just clicked. I thought it was a strong set list and a great crowd. Maybe the best English crowd I have seen. Steven mentioned something about it being "magic" and I have to agree. Put that baby in the vault and hope it sees the light of day soon.

-- John Bionelli

20100615002withTylerPerryRossHalfin.jpg

Jimmy Page with Stephen Tyler & Joe Perry (Photo Credit: Ross Halfin)

20100615003withWhitfieldcarpenterPatBoydRossHalfin.jpg

Jimmy Page with Joey Kramer & Brad Whitford (Photo Credit: Ross Halfin)

20100615001withTonyFedewaandTourManagerJimmyEyers.jpg

Jimmy Page with Tony Fedewa (Security) and Tour Manager Jimmy Eyers (Photo Credit: Ross Halfin)

20100615004withBandAssistantRandleFeaginJohnBionelliRossHalfin.jpg

Jimmy Page with Band Assistant Randle Feagin and photographer John Bionelli (Photo Credit: Ross Halfin)

All photos courtesy of John Bionelli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UFUW5LO2j0

Archived