Van Halen and Fleetwood Mac to save live music industry?

Don't see how this helps long term. I think this is a good thing too bad for them that they don't see the problem that they brought upon themselves.

Good thing I stick to seeing good bands I like at small venues with a more intimate atmosphere and pay only $10-20.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=147156

The Pulse of Radio reports that executives at concert giant Live Nation are looking at 2011 tours from the likes of VAN HALEN to save the live music industry, according to a report in USA Today. Live Nation executive chairman Irving Azoff told analysts on a Monday (October 4) conference call that the concert business will end 2010 with a whimper, with Azoff saying the industry is "still not seeing a consumer recovery" in ticket sales. But Azoff said he was optimistic about next year, specifically mentioning VAN HALEN and FLEETWOOD MAC as two acts that could lift ticket sales out of the doldrums.

Other potential 2011 moneymakers that Azoff mentioned included the cast of "Glee", AVRIL LAVIGNE and CHRISTINA AGUILERA. The latter canceled a tour this past summer because of poor sales.

Other acts that saw a dip in ticket sales this year included the JONAS BROTHERS, AEROSMITH, GOO GOO DOLLS, THE EAGLES and others.

Azoff also said that Live Nation hopes to earn money by selling more items like CDs, DVDs of that night's concert, T-shirts, posters and other memorabilia.

VAN HALEN's 2008 reunion tour with original singer David Lee Roth grossed more than $93 million and drew nearly one million fans to 74 shows.

Recent rumors have indicated that a new VAN HALEN album is in the works for a 2011 release. The new album would be the first with Roth on the mic since 1983 and first full studio effort since 1998's "Van Halen III".

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

I'm surprised there's no mention of the ticket scalping scheme Van Halen and Irving Azoff were accused of during their last tour.

That aside, it would help the concert industry to not nickel and dime concertgoers to death with "convenience" charges, parking fees, overpriced food and beverages, $35 for t-shirts, "security" personel breathing down our necks, etc., etc. Yes, the venues and artists have to make money to survive but these days, going to a concert can get into the hundreds of dollars easily and that's without buying any food or merch.

I'm surprised there's no mention of the ticket scalping scheme Van Halen and Irving Azoff were accused of during their last tour.

That aside, it would help the concert industry to not nickel and dime concertgoers to death with "convenience" charges, parking fees, overpriced food and beverages, $35 for t-shirts, "security" personel breathing down our necks, etc., etc. Yes, the venues and artists have to make money to survive but these days, going to a concert can get into the hundreds of dollars easily and that's without buying any food or merch.

Agreed.

What this article is really saying is Live Nation is hoping to rope in big money making acts that will save Live Nation because they had a bad year last year.

One local venue (the Durham Performing Arts Center) gets it, at least as far as being courteous to your clientele is concerned. Last year I went to see Alice Cooper there and was told there were no cameras allowed. When I got to my seat I saw everyone taking pictures so I asked someone with the venue if it was all right if I went out to my car to get my camera and they replied, "Sure! Just be sure to hurry up before he dies again!" When I returned, a member of security (Alice's people, not the venue's) watched me like a hawk and constantly accused me of filming the show. He never let up the entire concert. Having never seen Alice in concert, this was the equivalent of someone standing there taking a piss in my corn flakes. Meanwhile, everyone around me was continuing to take photos without consequence. Upon checking YouTube when I got home, I found no less than a dozen or so clips from the concert I'd just attended. When my situation was brought to the attention of DPAC management they were extremely apologetic saying that was not the type of atmosphere they wished to create at their venue. They then gifted me with a pair of tickets to any upcoming concert of my choice (I chose Jackson Browne). Do you think any of the Live Nation-associated sheds would have done anything like that? Hell no. All they are concerned about is their bottom dollar.

When my sister and I saw Bruce Springsteen a couple of years ago at Philips Arena, the tickets of course said no video/camera/audio blah blah blah and she had a camera hidden in her bag, which security promptly found. She bullshitted her way out of getting it confiscated by saying there were no batteries in it, but when we got to our seats after getting some food, we noticed everyone in our section pulling out cameras, mini-camcorders, mini-recorders and there were flash bulbs going off most of the night. I thought it was hysterical.

If artists that don't want their shows filmed or recorded are actually serious about it then they're going to have to have security confiscate everyone's cellphones. Otherwise they're never going to put a stop to it. I can certainly understand flashes going off being distracting to the performers but as long as no flash photography is allowed you'd think it'd be cool. Still, some bands (like the Black Crowes) have a strict no cameras policy. I ran into that at one of their recent concerts but someone somehow managed to film their 11 minute encore (a cover of a Velvet Underground song) which they uploaded to YouTube in due course. On the other hand, some artists have actually embraced the filming and photographing of their concerts. On R.E.M.'s last tour they set up a blog specifically for fans to upload photos and film clips. Even though that was R.E.M.'s policy, some venues still tried to stop fans from filming and taking photos.

Then don't drink. If I get anything to eat at a concert, it might be a pretzel or something because they're cheaper. Usually I'll eat before the concert so I don't need to spend money on food.

I'll never understand people (not talking about you) who go to concerts and get drunk. What a waste of money.

Kind of like going out for dinner and ordering water and a breadstick isn't it? I certainly don't go to shows with the intent of getting drunk but I do like to enjoy myself, be it grabbing a tour poster, tossing back a few brews or whatever. Was a time a when attending a show meant making a night of it and enjoying the total experience without spending several hundred dollars. Some of the bigger shows are long enough that avoiding concessions isn't an option, most of the blues festivals I attend are day long events. Last one I attended in August a 20 oz lemonade sold for an astonishing $7.50 and bottled water was $5, with temps in the high 90's avoiding dehydration was necessary. I was there 6.5 hours and spent over $150 on food and beverage for me and my date. Personally I find myself making decisions about which shows I attend based on whether seeing the artist is worth the total expense.

Edited by danelectro

I can understand that -- there's a very, very short list of artists on whom I will spend a substantial amount of money and I only spend said amount of money on them because I've seen them before and know what kind of show they put on and it's worth it. I saw David Gilmour live in Chicago four years ago -- that was a show. I'd sell a kidney to see that man live again. Would I say something like that, even if it's hyperbole about just about anyone else? No. Although there are a lot of artists I would love to see, most don't tour in the States and if they do, they don't come anywhere near me.

I know where you are coming from, for me music isn't just entertainment it's a lifestyle. As awkward as this sounds the significance of which has been not only life changing but life saving at times. There are certain artists that I make every effort to see entirely because of how their music has affected me. I can honestly say some of the most important things I've ever learned was the direct result the music I was exploring, it goes beyond listening for me. Because of that I've spent a lot of money, the investment is more than attending the show.

99% of the bands I'd care to see and spend ANY money on are past their prime so I don't have much problem with concert expenses anymore.

Nowadays all I'd want to see is one band at a time, but usually have to put up with an opening act of varying degrees of interest. I don't think there's enough bands I really really like that would be playing together to where I'd even want to go to an all day festival, unless I could come and go as I please. To be held captive by a venue isn't my cuppa tea.

I"ve NEVER paid over $42 to see any act, ever, and I've seen some incredible bands/musicians. Plus I'd never buy a beer at these shows, it's all bud/miller/coors which I abhore.

Can you say curmudgeon? :lol: