Why Do People Collect Things?

SteveAJones

I can remember the exact moment, and feelings I had when my dad taught me how to use the turntable for the very first time, I would have been 6 years old, it was almost an addiction like sensation. That moment is what started me down the path of collecting music related things so I'm convinced that on a subconscious level there is more to it besides the love of music. The odd thing is when I showed my son how to use the turntable I could see a light bulb moment in his eyes but it went out a few minutes and he found the turntable and CD player to be just silly.

Thanks for your post, Charles. I may have just experienced a Eureka moment because of it, that being I have very few positive feelings or memories from childhood, in part because home life was very traumatic right up until the age of 21 when I left. I wish I could say my Dad taught me to use a turntable, or anything for that matter. I taught myself to use a turn table, etc. and Led Zeppelin (among other music) became an escape from oftentimes harsh reality.

Thanks for your post, Charles. I may have just experienced a Eureka moment because of it, that being I have very few positive feelings or memories from childhood, in part because home life was very traumatic right up until the age of 21 when I left. I wish I could say my Dad taught me to use a turntable, or anything for that matter. I taught myself to use a turn table, etc. and Led Zeppelin (among other music) became an escape from oftentimes harsh reality.

Thanks for sharing that with us, that's a very personal type of thing you went through. All I can say is remember you got through it, sometimes trauma in life makes us be the leaders we can be, it teaches us to dig down deep when the slipstream of life seems to tight, we stand up and fight. So keep doing what your doing Steve, I enjoy your posts on the forum

• 10 months later...

I think that people collect things because it's a way of showing that you have some sort of control over something. If you can't own everything in the world, maybe having a collection will give you a sense of authority or ownership of a bit of the world. Does that make sense? laugh.gif

My guess is that speaking for only myself, collecting music related things (besides the actual albums) reminds me of my childhood when in some ways I actually controlled my own life which seems odd when you consider that I'm an adult now. As an adult I was told to go travel to this place and close an energy deal, or go travel to that place and make sure this guy keeps buying from us and so on. As the hours, days, and weeks away from home continued to grow, collecting music related things might have been a "comfort pillow" for me. It was at the point where I was driving 127,000 KM's a year...So maybe keeping every single concert ticket stub, and every single concert program, and every single t-shirt was an escape for a self imposed hell perhaps. I don't know.

The other thing is that I didn't start collecting music related stuff as an adult, it began around the age of 10 which leads to me to believe that it is related to something else in life which I think in recent months I have figured out what that specific emotional trauma was.

So as an adult, it is still there, but I can control it better because I don't want people laughing at me for having a Beatles Trivial Pursuit board game in my office on displace...I mean when people see that they think 'what the fuck is wrong with this guy, he owns things that a 10 year old owns' and I accept it that I have that problem, but it bothers me.

I was listening to the Patcast a few weeks ago, and Monahan was going on about how great the Train cruise is for people who love Train music and I talked to my wife about maybe how we should go and her response was and I quote, "If we are going on a cruise, let's go on a cruise, but let's not go on a cruise because of music" of course she was laughing the whole time she said it, so I know she felt bad for me. My son started asking me questions about Def Leppard the other day, and mentioned the cruise to me, and asked if we could go together and I thought, I don't want to give him the same problems I have now around music to him. But maybe by not going, I will create the addiction in him. My wife actually said to me, just take my son on the cruise and be done with it. (of course she was laughing the whole time when she said it, which just makes me feel like a loser...)

By the way, because of this discussion, I'm actually buying a T-shirt online right now related to music...

I am an anti collector of sorts. As many things that come into my possession, I now try to get rid of more than I take in. I guess it started a few years ago when I was "cleaning out" my garage again to make room for some new shit and I thought why in the hell do I need all this stuff?

In the end the only "things" that will really matter are guns, ammo and fuel-- and maybe a means of assuring potable water. When the balloon goes up I am going to feast on the brains and livers of all of these comic book collectors like the Zombie's they fantasize about.

I am an anti collector of sorts. As many things that come into my possession, I now try to get rid of more than I take in. I guess it started a few years ago when I was "cleaning out" my garage again to make room for some new shit and I thought why in the hell do I need all this stuff?

Same here man. I call myself the anti-hoarder lol. If I have something that I'm not getting any use out of, I'm selling it or tossing it.

Archived