Jimmy with the Rolling Stones

FireOpal

If anyone was wondering, Jimmy isn't mentioned in Keef's new autobiography, nor Led Zep :( Somehow, Kate Moss gets 2 pages though, go figure.

Actually, there's a very brief but revealing mention: when discussing the times he's been on trial for drugs, Keith writes:

I did make some speech along the lines of, this is my life, this is the way we live and shit happens. You don't live like me...It's hard to believe, because my attitude was, I need a jury that's at least half full of rock-and-roll guitar players to have anybody know what the fuck I'm talking about. A jury of my peers would be Jimmy Page, a conglomeration of musicians, guys who have been on the road and know what's what. My peers are not some lady doctor and a couple of plumbers...

That's the only reference to Page or Zeppelin in Life, but I think it says a lot.

post-12775-0-14078000-1294421222_thumb.g

That's interesting. When I saw the Andrew Oldham Orchestra sessions bit, I immediately thought of The Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony", which sampled huge chunks of Oldham's string arrangement of "The Last Time".

• 7 years later...
On 1/7/2011 at 5:27 PM, GeorgeC said:

Actually, there's a very brief but revealing mention: when discussing the times he's been on trial for drugs, Keith writes:

I did make some speech along the lines of, this is my life, this is the way we live and shit happens. You don't live like me...It's hard to believe, because my attitude was, I need a jury that's at least half full of rock-and-roll guitar players to have anybody know what the fuck I'm talking about. A jury of my peers would be Jimmy Page, a conglomeration of musicians, guys who have been on the road and know what's what. My peers are not some lady doctor and a couple of plumbers...

That's the only reference to Page or Zeppelin in Life, but I think it says a lot.

post-12775-0-14078000-1294421222_thumb.g

It's a fine book, Keith leaves very little out and says it like it was. 

I do wonder, however, whether Jimmy asked Keith not to mention him in the book when it came to drug use and Keith acquiesced due to their undoubted close friendship. 

It's no secret that Keith didn't care much for Zeppelin's music, but he did and does care for Jimmy very much, that is unquestionable. Mick Jagger, I'm not so sure about. He and Jimmy seems to have had a bit of a rivalry when it came to the fairer sex. Haha!

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2010 at 12:52 AM, SteveAJones said:

Correct on both points.

What?  "alt" version of heart of stone? Ive been in the understanding for yrs now = thats jimmy doing the solo on the common ALBUM!  is this NOT true?  It sure sounds EXACTLY like what he would come up with.

Also if its true that Page was on the stones payroll for a cple of yrs (wich yrs? Idk) ,Then im thinking he is probably on Much more than any1 knows.  Are their a host of stone songs that generally are "unofficialy" suspect to have jimmy playing on their recordings? What songs are they?

Steve dont u also here jimmys playing on a few other stones tunes?

Archived