Legendary Bluesman Pinetop Perkins

danelectro59

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/2011-03-21-pinetop-perkins-dies_N.htm?csp=34life

Seems like all I post are obituaries. This man deserves to be remembered as he is really one of the last original bluesmen from the golden age of Delta blues music. The folks he played with inspired our rock & roll heroes, including Led Zeppelin.

Pinetop, 97 years young when he left us, a great blues legend who will be missed by so many of us whose lives he touched and whose path crossed briefly with our own - even if it was just to enjoy his music as a fan and chat briefly with him afterwards. He often sat in with local Austin bands and it was always an amazing experience to see one of the few people who had a direction connection to that music and its origins play live. Pinetop was a sweet man who was always so kind about having his photo taken with his fans.

For those who are in the area, many Austin musicians who have played with Pinetop through the years will gather at Antone's (where I've seen Pinetop, JPJ and other greats play) tonight, Tuesday March 22, 2011, at 7 pm, to honor Pinetop's memory and his music.

In lieu of flowers, please consider honoring Pinetop's legacy by donating to The Pinetop Perkins Foundation. The Pinetop Perkins Foundation is a tax exempt non-profit organization. Its mission is to provide encouragement and support for youth and young people at the beginning of their musical career; and help provide care and safety for elderly musicians at the twilight of their career.

334ndcl.jpg

I have a fond memory when I saw him about 20 years ago, already an old man then. He was absolutely incredible. He came here along with Chicago Beau, and played with Icelandic musicians, some of whom are my friends. It was quite an experience to witness that concert, to hear it and to see the interaction up there on the stage. Just unforgettable - it wasn't really a surprise when they decided to work together later. Rest in peace.

Archived