2011 Austin City Limits Festival (Sept. 16-18)

SuperDave

Will be attending this for the first time this year, even though it's over three hours by jet for me. We have six of us going and should be a blast. They moved the festival from October to September this year. Possibly to accommodate certain artists that may be in the lineup this year. It is the 10th anniversary, so it could be something special. With the move to September, it will be a lot hotter with average temps in the 90's.

The final round of three day passes have yet to go on sale as well as one day tickets. They will be going on sale May 3rd and 17th respectively. After this the lineup should be announced shortly.

No confirmations on the acts except for Cee-Lo so far and almost a certainty of Alison Krauss and Union Station. Lot of rumors up to this point. Those that have been rumored include: Arcade Fire, My Morning Jacket, Radiohead, Soundgarden and Paul Simon.

Robert Plant played here with Alison back in 2008. Would be cool if he did so again. He's playing Bonnaroo and New Orleans Jazz and returns to Europe for dates in July. Nothing scheduled after that...yet.

So if anyone is going or has any info who might be in the lineup, please post.

Wouldn't that be Sweet!

Alberta Cross at ACL!

Dave,

Are you going to make the trek to the Lone Star and conduct some of your great interviews? You'd have a field day at one of these. Especially, later in the day when a large portion of attendees have been consuming many beverages. This is going to be so much fun and really looking forward to it.

With the move to September, it will be a lot hotter with average temps in the 90's.

So if anyone is going or has any info who might be in the lineup, please post.

Austin can also see temps in the low 100s (as well as rain, if there's a hurricane in the Gulf) in September (although the nights are beautiful). I'm originally from NYC and travel back there frequently (including during the summer months) and I much prefer Austin's heat (including the sun and 100 degree temps) to summers in the NYC area.

My husband and I have attended shows at ACL (as well as SXSW) for about ten years (personally we prefer SXSW). We live close enough to Austin to pick and choose what days we'll drive in and what bands we want to see. I've found that ACL is a more family friendly environment (and the shows wrap up around 10pm) than SXSW. Once our children were in high school, we never had any problems with letting them attend ACL alone with their friends - it's always been a safe place for them to see bands - so you will likely see groups of "local" teenagers at some of the shows as well as families with children of all ages.

In addition to Cee-Lo, I've heard that Iron WIne and Fitz & the Tantrums will be at ACL this year...also rumors that Kenye will be part of this year's line-up. I'll post more bands as I hear about them.

Austin can also see temps in the low 100s (as well as rain, if there's a hurricane in the Gulf) in September (although the nights are beautiful). I'm originally from NYC and travel back there frequently (including during the summer months) and I much prefer Austin's heat (including the sun and 100 degree temps) to summers in the NYC area.

My husband and I have attended shows at ACL (as well as SXSW) for about ten years (personally we prefer SXSW). We live close enough to Austin to pick and choose what days we'll drive in and what bands we want to see. I've found that ACL is a more family friendly environment (and the shows wrap up around 10pm) than SXSW. Once our children were in high school, we never had any problems with letting them attend ACL alone with their friends - it's always been a safe place for them to see bands - so you will likely see groups of "local" teenagers at some of the shows as well as families with children of all ages.

In addition to Cee-Lo, I've heard that Iron WIne and Fitz & the Tantrums will be at ACL this year...also rumors that Kenye will be part of this year's line-up. I'll post more bands as I hear about them.

Thanks for the info. Good to keep in mind.

Lot of rumors including the reformed Buffalo Springfield. Supposedly the lineup announcement will be on May 17th. This comes from the site Austin 360.

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/music/entries/2011/04/21/acl_fest_to_announce_lineup_ma.html?cxntfid=blogs_austin_music_source

If you're not already on the e-list I strongly suggest doing so. This doesn't mean you'll be privy to this year's lineup any sooner than anyone else but you will be among the first in line to get tickets.

I went the first two years but won't be there this year (unless something changes).

Got my three day pass this morning. Seems like the way the purchasing takes place is to safeguard against scalpers. It was a little shaky since their web pages are in HD, which my monitor isn't. Had to keep using the zoom function to bring up things on the right side. Got through it and scored tix for myself and friends.

The three day passes sold out in about 1 1/2 hours. One day tickets go on sale on the 17th.

The lineup will be announce on May 17th.

• 2 weeks later...

The lineup for the 2011 event is starting to be leaked via a scratch off lottery being held in Austin. You can get these tix at five different stores each day for free. The names of the stores are revealed just an hour or so before becoming available. They contain names of bands playing at the ACL festival. 2,000 tickets are given out each day and this will last five days until the official lineup announcement on Tuesday, May 17th. If you match three of the same band on your ticket, then you receive a pair of ACL VIP 3 Day Passes.

It seems that these "Golden Tickets" with the matching bands are going to be headliners.

Lineup (so far):

Delta Spirit

J. Roddy Walston and the Business

Empire of the Sun

Fleet Foxes

My Morning Jacket

More bands announced today with the lottery contest:

Cee Lo Green

Smith Westerns

Chromeo

Hayes Carll

Arcade Fire

More tomorrow and the following days. Seems like they're building this up with more notable artists announced as we go along.

A few more announced today:

Iron and Wine

Alexander

Head and the Heart

Mavis Staples

Kanye West

Stevie Wonder

Looks pretty good so far. One headliner left to name and the official lineup revealing is just minutes away.

Thanks Jahfin!

Was just looking over this on the ACL site. Looks pretty good overall, but am surprised Robert isn't playing as he has no dates in Texas on dates from January through June. Always seems to play in Texas. ALthough, his opening band the North Mississippi Allstars are on the bill.

Thanks Jahfin!

Was just looking over this on the ACL site. Looks pretty good overall, but am surprised Robert isn't playing as he has no dates in Texas on dates from January through June. Always seems to play in Texas. ALthough, his opening band the North Mississippi Allstars are on the bill.

Probably because he played there last year. Yeah, I know it's not unusual for an artist to play the festival twice but it may be the case this time, especially since he was a headliner. Opening act North Mississippi All-Stars being on the bill really doesn't mean anything in regards to Plant.

Thanks Jahfin. Didn't think having the NM Allstars mattered either. Was just hoping to see Robert play in a festival setting. The lineup is still quite good, with the exception of Kanye. To me he's pretty much all spectacle and no substance when it comes to his music and performances.

• 3 months later...

Archived