Charlie Watts

lzzoso

I just listened to the whole Rolling Stones live album "Get Your YaYa's Out" on YouTube and I have to say that, although I have always loved the Rolling Stones, I could not help but concentrate on the superb drumming of Mr. Charlie Watts. "Charlie's Good Tonight, Ain't He".

I have always thought that Charlie Watts was my most favorite of all the Stones. Not as powerful or as dynamic as Bonzo, but a solid timekeeper and very misunderstood drummer, in my opinion. Charlie reminds me alot like John Paul Jones, but instead of playing Bass, he plays drums. Both are born to play their instruments and not bask in the spotlight.

One time (late 60's) I was with a friend in San Francisco and we were hanging outside Tower Records and we see this limo drive up and Charlie and Mick Taylor get out and go in to the record store. We stayed outside and could see down into the store as they walked around and we kinda laughed at how everyone seemed to be acting so cool inside the store as the two were just browsing for records. I was just getting into photography then and my friend Mike says I should grab my camera and take their pic. They eventually came right over by us and I knocked on the window and motioned with my camera and they just kinda nodded ok and I took their pic. Sadly, that pic has long disappeared. :( But they both had an armfull of LP's as they left the store and the limo driver looked bored as hell waiting for them. :lol: But I also think Charlie is a great drummer. He just gets the job done.

Archived