How the west was won

Ste

cant say i've heard it. and never much of deep purple jus the ovious ones

Well, you can´t judge a great band like purple only cause os smoke on the water and highwaystar. It would be the same as judging Zepp because of Stairway to heaven.

Just to give you a clue...Purple were the biggest selling band in america in 73 and 85 when they reformed.

deep Purple Made in Japan is a must have for any serious rock fan

i always thought the who live at leeds was the best live CD ever , but its definitely how the west was won what do u think?? i'm biased btw lol

Well ....

While I have been a Led Zeppelin fan, I have never thought much of their recorded live shows. Problem is that they overlay the part so much on the studio albums that it is just not possible to pull most of them off live.

As well, while their short live songs are generally fine, when they get into the 25-minute versions of songs it just gets awful (IMHO).

Don't get me wrong - I've alway been a Led Zep fan and always will be. But if I was them, I'd get some backing musicians for their upcoming live performance to help do their catalogue justice, and stay away from the long meandering stuff.

That being said, there are some good parts in How the West Was Won. It is much better than some of the other live recordings of theirs.

Made In Japan is good, but HTWWW was better.

Both can't touch Live At Leeds though.

Made in Japan is superior to HTWWW: the performance is actualy a brain melting assault, it doesn´t loer the spped and tension intensity at any point. AND is completely unedited, beleive it or not.

Made in Japan is superior to HTWWW: the performance is actualy a brain melting assault, it doesn´t loer the spped and tension intensity at any point. AND is completely unedited, beleive it or not.

Relax. Not everyone is gonna agree with you on this one.

What if I dislike Deep Purple? Would you still argue Made in Japan is better simply because you think so?

• 13 years later...

everyone is entitled to their opinion . my first concert was purple / burn tour at glasgow apollo . I was a regular attender at apollo though 70s and early 80s . so I saw everybody and more than once ( except zep but did manage '07 ) . for live albums in my opinion following are all great who / leeds , purple / japan , acdc / if you want blood , zep / htwww ( and now 4 lp version of tsrts ) nugent / gonzo , priest / unleashed in east , elp / welcome , yes / yessongs , genesis / seconds , allmans / fillmore , stones / ya yas .... but there are some live albums by great groups that suck eg sabs and there are well regarded groups whose stuff I switch off eg frampton , queen basically what I class as pop rock . what I do understand is why people get so heated about whether one group is greater than another . or why someone who doesnt like say zep would visit say a zep website and post a gratuitously rude inane . it is inconceivable to me that I would visit a def leps site and say they are crap . I think they are crap and it annoys me the amount of airplay they get on planet rock / abs classic rock radio but why would I send a message deriding them ... lots of fans do like them and I respect their opinion . at the end of the day there is a measure of " greatness " or more properly popularity ...... record sales . no rock act had outsold zep ( eagles are not rock imho ) . everyone enjoy their thing .