Zeppelineque Zeppelin

McSeven

I was reading comments on a new Song that Heart is perforing live. Its called Marshalla. It alsmot has has a When the Levee Breaks feel to it.

It got me thinking. When people use the term Zeppelineque. What do you all think it means? Are there certain songs that would qulify to that. Are songs like Communication Breakdown/Rock and Roll more or less Zeppelin than other songs.

To me it has to have a more mystic feel. Like WTLB/4Sticks/STH.

Anyways. Just curions to what others think.

For a song to be Zeppelinesque, it has to have a catchy riff, heavy bassline and prominent drums. If you can't hear the bass or the drums very much, it's not Zeppelinesque. Lyrical themes are usually simple songs about sex and evil women (DAC, WLL, HB) or about more mystical themes (Kashmir, STH) The song can't be called "Zeppelinesque" if it's too heavy as well. If it leans to the harder end of Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness, it's not Zeppelinesque. The highest any Zeppelin song got on that scale is a 7, with "Wearing and Tearing." A Zeppelinesque song can be on the low end of said scale, as it can have a bluegrass or folksy sound to it, as they would be evocative of That's the Way, Going to California, etc. Most modern heavy metal in this regard is not Zeppelinesque, but some older heavy metal can be. "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath is pretty evocative of "Communication Breakdown" and it's one of the first songs people point to as a marker for the birth of metal.

Archived