Zep Pittsburgh, PA. civic arena, Feb. 1975

jeff DeLuca

For years i have had it in my head that Zepp played Febuary 1&2 at the arena in 75.I attended the feb. 1st show.You could only get tickets by mail-in. For what ever reason i remember hearing on the radio [wdve ] out of pitts. that a second show has been added because of demand for tickets. After the Feb. 1st show while sitting the car waiting for traffic to clear,on wdve the dj asked that everyone to stop calling the station " Led Zeppelin are not staying in Pittsburgh, They will fly back into town tomorow for the show". I have always remembered those words.

After much "ribbing" from friends [some of who attended the show] about my stand on zepp playing 2 nites . I decided to try an verifie my memory

I thought everyone would enjoy this!

I was able to get in touch with the fellow that wrote the review for Feb. 1st show [Rex Rukuski]. He got in touch with Ed Traversari of the former Deceaser-Engler productions who promoted the Zepp show.He agreed that Zepp played 2 nites!YAAAAYYY...... 2 days later rex contacts me to let me know Rich Engler is checking his records.Well Englers' records show Zepp played only 1 nite with attendance of 14,850. HUH!

There site http:// diceaser-englerproductions.com/ Led Zepplin.php has them playing "2" nites......Maybe my friends are rite and "i did smoke 1 to many that week". sigh......

The diceaser-engler site has a great Peter Grant story. ......i can see him doing that.

Zeppelin definitely did NOT play the Civic Arena on 2/2/75 - a college basketball game did! For the record, Duquesne beat Villanova 83-81 at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh on 2/2/75.

Also, an article in the September 23, 1975 edition of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette discussed the top draws at the Civic Arena in 1975 and only one Zeppelin show was mentioned, not two. Plus several newspaper ads and listings only show the 2/1/75 show.

You can't always go by newspapers. I'm not saying Zeppelin played a second show at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, because obviously mikezep showed enough independently verified evidence that other events occurred that day.

But you can't always trust what is listed in newspapers. In 1975, the L.A. Times only listed the March 10 San Diego show...there was never any mention of the second March 14 San Diego gig. Not even the ticket scalper ads had March 14.

You can't always go by newspapers. I'm not saying Zeppelin played a second show at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, because obviously mikezep showed enough independently verified evidence that other events occurred that day.

But you can't always trust what is listed in newspapers. In 1975, the L.A. Times only listed the March 10 San Diego show...there was never any mention of the second March 14 San Diego gig. Not even the ticket scalper ads had March 14.

With regard to the LA Times you are correct; however, the San Diego Union had NINE (!) different listings/articles announcing the second show for 3/14/75. Here's the first one that I found, an article in the Feb. 14, 1975 San Diego Union announcing the 2nd show:

75-02-14SanDiegoUnionpaint-1.jpg

Bad spelling and punctuation: WOW! is that you Miss. miller ? my old 6th grade spelling teacher , its' been what 50 years?

Smoking to many total: In my youth , YOUR DAM RIGHT!

Whats the point of your post,btw: Well i thought this was the Led Zeppelin fans forum site and the fans would find it interresting that the promoters who did the same shows can't agree on the dates that Zeppelin played".Sorry,"

Didn't realize i was on my old spelling teachers' site, i will go find the REAL Led Zeppelin fan site.

:lol: It helps when we can at least try to figure out what you are asking...btw, use to quote link at the bottom of a post - it'll help when addressing someone. Not being sarcastic, just trying to help you. So, you were never able to get tickets for that show in Pittsburgh?

Thank you Mikezep and Strider, for getting him the answer he was looking for!

Archived