Joe Strummer

Cofa

Ten years ago today, I unexpectedly found out about the death of my many leveled hero Joe Strummer on the old Electric Magic forum which eventually became this forum. To say the least I was gutted. Tears in my eyes while Strummer's music was playing in the background as on this forum I wrote page after page of longwinded rambling about my gratitude & love for the man & all that he blessed us with in his time. It was that day that I finally understood the cliche of it not being the time one has been given but what one does with that time. Ten years later I miss the man as a friend I never had the opportunity to meet while his words still ring in my head. Bless you John Graham Mellor aka Joe Strummer, and yes, "Without people you're nothing"....

10 years ago today Joe Strummer died. One of the greats!

One of the greats indeed! The Clash was a band that I did not miss seeing live because I was too young (like Zeppelin). I clearly remember the day I was turned onto them.

The Clash really made an impression on me, I bought up all of their records and couldn't get enough. Followed Strummer's post-Clash career a bit, but not as voraciously. It was like a punch in the gut hearing about his untimely passing, I recall that day clearly as well.

I caught the second half of the 2007 documentary about Strummer today on Starz. I didn't know too much about him, but he seemed like a really interesting and good person. Loved the whole campfire thing. I'm going to look for the doc on OnDemand...hope it's there.

Archived