were sabbath just as good on their albums ?

black zeppelin

There was another thread like this recently, but I'll give my input again.

I think at their best Sabbath was close to Zeppelin, but and album by album comparison I don't think it's that close. I think Paranoid is the only one that compares with any Zep album as a whole package and I'd say Zep still had 4 or 5 albums unquestionably better.

In greatest band of all time type list, Sabbath would probably be top 10 for influence alone. But Zep would probably be top 3 by the same note.

imho Deep Purple was kinda boring(with exception of "Maybe I'm a Leo" heh) where as sabbath and zeppelin were so heavy thud thud thud with your heart. They were like mozart and beethoven reincarnated into the 70's. Today, when you hear black dog or n.i.b it's hard to take into context what other music was like around them at the time. There was nothing like them. Those sounds...a lot of them I heard as they were being released fresh and new. An amazing time for music. Sabbath and Zeppelin were electric excitement served up on a plastic platter while mommy and daddy sat out in the den watching the carpenters, but imho Zeppelin has no equal and never will.

imho Deep Purple was kinda boring(with exception of "Maybe I'm a Leo" heh) where as sabbath and zeppelin were so heavy thud thud thud with your heart. They were like mozart and beethoven reincarnated into the 70's. Today, when you hear black dog or n.i.b it's hard to take into context what other music was like around them at the time. There was nothing like them. Those sounds...a lot of them I heard as they were being released fresh and new. An amazing time for music. Sabbath and Zeppelin were electric excitement served up on a plastic platter while mommy and daddy sat out in the den watching the carpenters, but imho Zeppelin has no equal and never will.

I don't listen to much Purple, but I think you can say alot of the same things about them. I prefer Sabbath, but far as influence goes, there are two schools of metal, one rooted in Sabbath and one rooted in DP.

This stuff came out a decade or so before I was even born, so I can't imagine what hearing any of it without the context of more modern bands. Must've been pretty mindblowing.

• 4 months later...

There was another thread like this recently, but I'll give my input again.

I think at their best Sabbath was close to Zeppelin, but and album by album comparison I don't think it's that close. I think Paranoid is the only one that compares with any Zep album as a whole package and I'd say Zep still had 4 or 5 albums unquestionably better.

In greatest band of all time type list, Sabbath would probably be top 10 for influence alone. But Zep would probably be top 3 by the same note.

I completely agree with this. Some of my favorite Sabbath songs like "War Pigs" and "N.I.B." may be able to stand up against some of the better Zeppelin songs, but on an album-by-album basis Sabbath fall short. Paranoid, like you said, comes closest, but it still can't top the best Zeppelin albums.

Ozzy's "fuck you" lyrics do make more sense while being in a depressed mood, they are more straightforward at times.

If you've been to Aston like I have you'd know first hand why Sabbath's music sounds so gloomy. I used to work there and what a depressing, concrete, industrial shit hole it is..

Archived