Earls Court

clw

I am of the opinion that anything having to do with Led Zeppelin is worthy of some consideration. Be it books, magazines, bootleg albums and compact discs and dvds, etc...

I personally have over 25 books, about 20 bootleg albums, around 50 bootleg cds and over 30 bootleg dvds of Led Zeppelin (and/or related). With all that, and the addition of live Led Zeppelin concerts out there on YouTube, I have a pretty formidable collection.

I have both the Earl's Court dvds that are known to exist. Both of great video and audio quality.

For those out there who deny or dismiss "Hammer of the Gods", I ask you, Why? To me, if it were not for this book (factual or pure fabrication), I would not be the constant, Die-Hard Led Zeppelin Fan that I am to this day and until the day I die. I guess I cannot explain how much this book, along with obviously, Led Zeppelin and the Timeless Music these Four Individuals created, means to me. I bought "Hammer of the Gods" when it first came out in hardback edition back in 1986. I know this book from front to back. I was just 16 years old at the time, and, like I said, this book really did change my Life. That may sound silly, but it is true. I am not afraid or embarrassed to say so.

"LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN!!!"

NO doubt,the best band then,now and forever

I am of the opinion that anything having to do with Led Zeppelin is worthy of some consideration. Be it books, magazines, bootleg albums and compact discs and dvds, etc...

I personally have over 25 books, about 20 bootleg albums, around 50 bootleg cds and over 30 bootleg dvds of Led Zeppelin (and/or related). With all that, and the addition of live Led Zeppelin concerts out there on YouTube, I have a pretty formidable collection.

I have both the Earl's Court dvds that are known to exist. Both of great video and audio quality.

For those out there who deny or dismiss "Hammer of the Gods", I ask you, Why? To me, if it were not for this book (factual or pure fabrication), I would not be the constant, Die-Hard Led Zeppelin Fan that I am to this day and until the day I die. I guess I cannot explain how much this book, along with obviously, Led Zeppelin and the Timeless Music these Four Individuals created, means to me. I bought "Hammer of the Gods" when it first came out in hardback edition back in 1986. I know this book from front to back. I was just 16 years old at the time, and, like I said, this book really did change my Life. That may sound silly, but it is true. I am not afraid or embarrassed to say so.

"LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN!!!"

You should read Barney Hoskyn's book. It presents a much more complete picture of the group and their compatriots.

Hammer of the Gods is widely derided because it was (for the most part) a very one-sided portrayal of the group -- the primary source for the book was Richard Cole, who obviously had an axe to grind. Hoskyn's book is "better" in comparison because you hear from all the major players, including the band, and also those more on the periphery.

Hey Geezer

I kind of like these book discussions if they don't get too hostile, and I'd be glad to leaf through it and respond to you in detail...but it's been a while, and I don't have it anymore. Like I said, I recycled it. I seem to recall Wall inserting himself into the story frequently in ways that seemed self-serving...and I wouldn't have minded this if the other parts of the book that weren't about him didn't seem to be lifted from other people's books. It seemed like a weak cash-in effort, in other words. And I believe he even tried to do lengthy segments where he was purporting to write the thoughts of band members...pretty ridiculous for anyone, let alone an enigma like Page...and really crass with Bonzo, in my opinion.

And I just don't like Wall, based on interviews I've seen of him. Not a good reason to not like the book, I know...but that annoying personality seemed to seep through all the pages.

Anyway, that's the best I can do for you after a few years have passed. It's all just my opinion. If you enjoyed the book, that's great.

I agree with you. Those passages written in italics are horrible.

Archived