Earls Court

clw

I ordered Earls Court,got it today and it is crap,I think it is a bootleg,does not even have the red cover,has a pic and if you look at the date of the concert on the back it says May 25th..isnt the 24th the one that was filmed and sold? Plus I know RP talked before a few of the songs,about rabbiting around ete..isnt that on the earls court DVD..anyone have the right one and know? I am sending this back..this is one of the songs from Youtube,shouldnt this be on my DVD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuavUFzXX1w&list=FLfjL5jmkKk5XwgRkEIp8hkA

He talks in this one before the song

post-24887-0-44334500-1364930324.jpg

post-24887-0-03690400-1364930338.jpg

Never seen this one before, it looks bad (especially cuz it rips off the artwork from Mick Wall's "When Giants Walked the Earth" trash biography.) For the 24th I'd recommend EVSD's "In the Court of King James" and for the 25th, I'd get EVSD's "Demand Unprecedented in the History of Rock Music".

Never seen this one before, it looks bad (especially cuz it rips off the artwork from Mick Wall's "When Giants Walked the Earth" trash biography.) For the 24th I'd recommend EVSD's "In the Court of King James" and for the 25th, I'd get EVSD's "Demand Unprecedented in the History of Rock Music".

Ditto. Both are awesome releases and use the best sources available.

I have been a Zeppelin fan for over 15 years and I am ashamed to say I haven't really delved in to listening to a lot of bootlegs :tears:; I plan on changing that! The self titled Led Zeppelin DVD that came out in 2003 has some selections from Earl's Court on it (I own this). It also has Royal Albert Hall, MSG, Knebworth and many extras. Definitely worth the $18 I spent on it!

Wikipedia:

Following the release of this publication, former Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page reportedly threatened to sue its author over the book's contents. According to Page:

Wall’s just writing a book designed to cash in on something he didn’t have anything to do with. He wasn’t a creative force in Led Zep. I’m at something of a disadvantage because I haven’t chosen to read that book, but I hear it’s totally distorted from people who do know about Led Zeppelin.

Honeydrip79, the official DVD is a great release. But the bootlegs contain unedited performances, with the exception of the visuals of parts of RAH and Madison Square Garden (and the audio of the first half of the first MSG night; I also found out where exactly the RAH and MSG visuals go.) There are many good sites to obtain bootlegs. YouTube is great place to start.

Thanks, ledzepfilm! I will have to take some time and do that.

Wikipedia:

Following the release of this publication, former Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page reportedly threatened to sue its author over the book's contents. According to Page:

Wall’s just writing a book designed to cash in on something he didn’t have anything to do with. He wasn’t a creative force in Led Zep. I’m at something of a disadvantage because I haven’t chosen to read that book, but I hear it’s totally distorted from people who do know about Led Zeppelin.

Honeydrip79, the official DVD is a great release. But the bootlegs contain unedited performances, with the exception of the visuals of parts of RAH and Madison Square Garden (and the audio of the first half of the first MSG night; I also found out where exactly the RAH and MSG visuals go.) There are many good sites to obtain bootlegs. YouTube is great place to start.

I have the 2003 DVD, "Led Zeppelin," which was put together by the band/Page; I think if you are a fan you will definitely want it. Why get bootlegs of the same performances?

basically because the DVD gives you handfuls of three-course meals.

I got one of the early releases of Earl's Court - I think the Cosmic Energy version. It was great to have, but I felt that the drum sound was really weak...way back in the mix and distant. Have the newer releases improved on that much?

Like "In the Court of King James," for example?

I ordered Earls Court,got it today and it is crap,I think it is a bootleg

Of course it's a boot. This (these) shows have never been made officially available. Who introduces the show is the important thing. The 25th is by Alan Freeman and he starts of by saying "Good evening Music lovers". Empress Valleys version is considered to be the best. It has been released many times from this label. Heavy Metal Kids is a great release of this classic night in London

The 24th is Introduced by Nicky Horne. He says something like " your mother wouldn't like it" Genuine Masters release is a great release of this night.

The problem with the sound is the usual soundboard story or it's taken from the video feed. It can sound flat and to see bonzo drumming he has lost that bit of heavy banging on the skins. A good example is the drum break from Rock an Roll into Sick Again.

I have the original Vinyl audience recording single disc of the 25th Show. In the snippet of Dazed titled " Woodstock" the sound is so atmospheric and truly great it puts the soundboard to shame. Pity the whole show is not out as an audience recording. I've always wondered what happened to it!

Thanks so much everyone!! I am going to return it and stick with the 2003 Led Zepplin DVD..as far as the book,I was hoping it would be good and not all made up

I think it's safe to say that by now the Mick Wall tome has pretty much been 'discredited' within Zeppelin circles, Geezer...and I have read it, and promptly got rid of it after ward...When Giants Walk The Earth is IMO another garbage Zeppelin bio alongside Hammer Of The Gods and Stairway To Heaven. The Hoskyns, Shadwick and Dave Lewis books are all the Zeppelin books ya need.

basically because the DVD gives you handfuls of three-course meals.

And the bootlegs of the full concerts are easy enough to find online...many upgrades to the sources have come to light since 2003.

I have been a Zeppelin fan for over 15 years and I am ashamed to say I haven't really delved in to listening to a lot of bootlegs :tears:; I plan on changing that! The self titled Led Zeppelin DVD that came out in 2003 has some selections from Earl's Court on it (I own this). It also has Royal Albert Hall, MSG, Knebworth and many extras. Definitely worth the $18 I spent on it!

Get the bootlegs of the shows, google is yer friend...the official DVD is great, but its a teaser, it's like the watered down version of what Led Zeppelin could be like live...

i just wish I could have seen them,so many times

I think it's safe to say that by now the Mick Wall tome has pretty much been 'discredited' within Zeppelin circles, Geezer...and I have read it, and promptly got rid of it after ward...When Giants Walk The Earth is IMO another garbage Zeppelin bio alongside Hammer Of The Gods and Stairway To Heaven. The Hoskyns, Shadwick and Dave Lewis books are all the Zeppelin books ya need.

And the bootlegs of the full concerts are easy enough to find online...many upgrades to the sources have come to light since 2003.

Get the bootlegs of the shows, google is yer friend...the official DVD is great, but its a teaser, it's like the watered down version of what Led Zeppelin could be like live...

well I did download and have it on my computer,tried to put on DVD but it wont play on the tv

Of course it's a boot. This (these) shows have never been made officially available. Who introduces the show is the important thing. The 25th is by Alan Freeman and he starts of by saying "Good evening Music lovers". Empress Valleys version is considered to be the best. It has been released many times from this label. Heavy Metal Kids is a great release of this classic night in London

The 24th is Introduced by Nicky Horne. He says something like " your mother wouldn't like it" Genuine Masters release is a great release of this night.

The problem with the sound is the usual soundboard story or it's taken from the video feed. It can sound flat and to see bonzo drumming he has lost that bit of heavy banging on the skins. A good example is the drum break from Rock an Roll into Sick Again.

I have the original Vinyl audience recording single disc of the 25th Show. In the snippet of Dazed titled " Woodstock" the sound is so atmospheric and truly great it puts the soundboard to shame. Pity the whole show is not out as an audience recording. I've always wondered what happened to it!

I think it's ridiculous to dismiss Hammer of the Gods as crap, in spite of its problems. Stephen Davis is a talented writer, and he took the Zeppelin story and presented it in a very captivating mythological form. Granted, it was Zeppelin that built this mythology...LIVED IT, actually...but Davis crafted it - and crafted it well - into an ENORMOUSLY influential book. Richard Cole was pretty fucking good source to snag at the time, no matter his desperation or willingness to embellish. And although he was betraying their loyalty to a great degree, I thought his admiration for them, and his old bonds with them, shone through at all times - even in the unflattering parts - giving the story a poignant tone.

I think it's equally ridiculous that the same people who knock Davis will give Hoskyns a pass as a serious writer. Trampled Underfoot was a gripping read, but Hoskyns hid behind his role as "editor and arranger of quotes," and let a lot of petty bitter people spill their bile without bothering to give perspective to some of their tales.

I thought Wall's book sucked, but I don't feel like being a literary critic about it. Let's put it this way - I'm such a Zep fan, I save basically everything, no matter how disappointing it is. But with Wall's book, I ripped out the pictures (some cool ones, I must admit) and recycled it.

Mielazul, I agree with your opinion on Hammer of the Gods, but could you be more specific in what's so wrong with When Giants Walked the Earth?

Hey Geezer

I kind of like these book discussions if they don't get too hostile, and I'd be glad to leaf through it and respond to you in detail...but it's been a while, and I don't have it anymore. Like I said, I recycled it. I seem to recall Wall inserting himself into the story frequently in ways that seemed self-serving...and I wouldn't have minded this if the other parts of the book that weren't about him didn't seem to be lifted from other people's books. It seemed like a weak cash-in effort, in other words. And I believe he even tried to do lengthy segments where he was purporting to write the thoughts of band members...pretty ridiculous for anyone, let alone an enigma like Page...and really crass with Bonzo, in my opinion.

And I just don't like Wall, based on interviews I've seen of him. Not a good reason to not like the book, I know...but that annoying personality seemed to seep through all the pages.

Anyway, that's the best I can do for you after a few years have passed. It's all just my opinion. If you enjoyed the book, that's great.

^^^ Oh, one more thing, Geezer...and again this is from a maybe sketchy memory...but I remember Wall kind of finishing the book with an assessment of Page and Plant's separate careers and he kind of went with the commonly held idea that Plant was being a fresh creative artist forging ahead, and Page was kind of stuck in the past. I know a lot of people subscribe to this view, and I really wouldn't want to have to argue against it, based on the output...but personally, I'll always look at Page as someone who went to the top of the mountain, suffered for it, and created this amazing body of work that still resonates with power today. It has always seemed lame to me when people pull a "What have you done lately?" trip with Page. Ungrateful, in a way. Besides, I've said it before a few times on this forum, the show I saw on the Outrider tour was the greatest concert experience I've ever had. Some of Jimmy's great post-Zep stuff has been really below the radar.

Anyway...that's about it.

All the best.

Archived