Now and Zen - Bonus Live Tracks

Has anybody heard these? I recently picked up a used version of Now and Zen, and was pleasantly surprised to see it had 3 extra bonus live tracks on the end, including live versions of Ship of Fools, which is one of my all-time favorite Plant tunes, and Tall Cool One. When I listened to them, I was puzzled/confused as to why they had chose those tracks. The Ship of Fools was very ragged vocally, in my opinion, on a song that is beautiful because of the classic tone and smoothness of his voice on that song, and Tall Cool One had a very notable mistake on the first verse that he even acknowledged as he sang it. Just a bit strange to feature those tracks on any sort of formal release.

These are probably the tracks that came off the individual album extra tracks from "Nine Lives". When I listened to the "Now and Zen" live tracks they seemed like bootleg live versions and not SBs or multitracks with the sound quality not quite there. Don't think Jimmy would ever do this. Not sure if this was Robert's decision to put these on the album or someone else. I would think they could have put better quality versions on this since, there were shows professionally recorded during this tour from Westwood One and King Biscuit.

Yes, these three live tracks are the bonus tracks on the "Now and Zen" that comes in the Nine Lives box set. "Ship of Fools", "Billy's Revenge", and "Tall Cool One" are all sourced from bootlegs.

What's interesting is that "Ship of Fools" and "Tall Cool One" come from the Nov. 1, 1990 Universal Amphitheatre show I was at and that I taped. In 1993, my home was robbed and all my tapes stolen. Wouldn't that be a trip if my tape was the source used for the bonus cuts.

"Billy's Revenge" comes from a different show but I can't remember where...Britain maybe?

the chirpy marketing boob$ still think it is a good idea and they promo'd the living heck out of it to the radio stations to boo$t flagging interest in ticket sales to the live venues. Didn't work. The smart move would have been to release live versions of current tracks that were screaming up the charts but that didn't happen so.... they punted to a previous release. Strider I always thought for some reason BR was recorded in Los Angeles. Sux about your home being broke into- hope they got caught.

Yes, these three live tracks are the bonus tracks on the "Now and Zen" that comes in the Nine Lives box set. "Ship of Fools", "Billy's Revenge", and "Tall Cool One" are all sourced from bootlegs.

What's interesting is that "Ship of Fools" and "Tall Cool One" come from the Nov. 1, 1990 Universal Amphitheatre show I was at and that I taped. In 1993, my home was robbed and all my tapes stolen. Wouldn't that be a trip if my tape was the source used for the bonus cuts.

"Billy's Revenge" comes from a different show but I can't remember where...Britain maybe?

Strider, perhaps you can remember the sound quality and little things of these performances to know for sure. Just surprised that Robert didn't use the pro Westwood One recordings from this tour as Philly and I believe the Meadowland were recorded on this tour. I was at the latter but he performed two sold out dates there. Amazing that he played two consecutive arena shows. I think the arena holds about 18,000, so that was a big deal back then. Had a big album with "Now and Zen" and was the first time in his solo career that he was performing Zeppelin songs. Loved "Black Country Woman" from the tour.

Archived