cat allergy cure could be getting close

weslgarlic

Symptoms of an allergic reaction include itchy and swollen eyes, sneezing, coughing and breathing difficulties - similar to those suffered when people have a cold.

The most common cat allergy comes from the Fel d 1 allergen which is passed on by cats through saliva.

When they clean themselves, the saliva, hormones and microscopic skin cells - known as dander/dandruff - pass on to their coat, and that is when the human suffers the allergy.

What happens, the scientists say, is the human body misidentifies cat dandruff as something more harmful than it is.

Allergic reactions are the result of the immune system over-reacting to a perceived danger.

Instead of identifying and responding to a harmful virus or bacteria, the immune system misidentifies different allergens, including dander, as dangerous and mounts an immune response.

That in turn triggers a huge immune system response in the human.

Now, for the first time, the scientists involved in this report suggest it will be possible to develop a drug that will control such an allergy.

It is hoped that drugs already developed to tackle other conditions could now be applied to help cat allergy sufferers.

"How cat dander causes such a severe allergic reaction in some people has long been a mystery," said Dr Clare Bryant, lead author of the research from the University of Cambridge's Department of Veterinary Medicine.

The researchers are confident that they will not only be able to find something to deal with allergy to cats, but such a drug would also benefit those who are allergic to dogs.

http://www.planetrock.com/news/and-finally/cat-allergy-cure-could-be-getting-close/

We have had cats for over 20 years and I'm mildly allergic, but Claritin works fine for me. Would be interesting to see if it or something similar helps with other animal dander allergies; I can't go near a horse or a barn without Benadryl.

• 2 weeks later...

My old cat would sleep on the foot of the bed, one day, he never came home, I could hear some coyotes out in the woods, so I'm guessing he became dinner for them.

Sorry about your cat. Did you know coyotes were in your neighborhood before he disappeared?

My old cat would sleep on the foot of the bed, one day, he never came home, I could hear some coyotes out in the woods, so I'm guessing he became dinner for them.

This is why I keep my guys inside. I heard a band of coyotes out back a couple nights ago and I first thought it was a police siren.

Sorry about your cat. Did you know coyotes were in your neighborhood before he disappeared?

Yes I knew but it never harmed the cat for the 8 years previous, Cow Bay is a rural forest and ocean beach community that has coyotes, black bears, bobcats, and deer. The cat hated being inside, he would go out for hours at a time, occasionally days at a time.

• 2 weeks later...