Which Stones singles sound better on Mono?

I am rediscovering my love of all things Mono. I am currently compiling a playlist of my favorite Stones singles that sound better on MONO. A friend of mine complained that there isn't that much differences between the stereo and mono mixes of most Stones songs. I tend to disagree. Any song ideas to prove him wrong?

"Satisfaction" for one sounds better in mono. "Let's Spend the Night Together" is another. But basically, yes, most of the early singles (1963-1968) sound better to my ears in mono than stereo. For one thing, there was more quality control when mixing in mono...usually the mono mix was given more attention by the producer and the band. The stereo mix was often an afterthought, due to the fact that sales were in singles not LPs at that time.

Of course, if you don't have the original mono 45rpms or the original mono albums, then that opens another can of worms. Because ALL of the Rolling Stones CD releases of their classic Decca/ABKCO material have had problems being true to the fidelity of the originals. Whether it is the stereo or mono remasters we are talking about, the CDs never sound as good as the old albums and singles.

But I don't have time right now to get into that byzantine trail of tears...I'm with friends. Another time perhaps.

Archived