2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

It's going to be an interesting debate, I think, between Tanaka and King Felix as far as who should start the All Star game for the AL. I know Tanaka has a better record, but that's only because King Felix has been a victim of a lack of runs or he would be in double digits for wins as well. All I know is, if I had to give the ball to one pitcher for one game, I would put all my marbles on the King, but we shall see what happens in about a few weeks....

It's going to be an interesting debate, I think, between Tanaka and King Felix as far as who should start the All Star game for the AL. I know Tanaka has a better record, but that's only because King Felix has been a victim of a lack of runs or he would be in double digits for wins as well. All I know is, if I had to give the ball to one pitcher for one game, I would put all my marbles on the King, but we shall see what happens in about a few weeks....

Iam hoping to settle the matter tomorrow and chase his ass in the first few innings. Davis and Cruz and Jones take his ass deep

I wonder how Bong-Man is feeling about Joe Nathan as his closer? But, the Tigers did escape with a win yesterday--maybe that's all that matters.

Allow me to tell you how I am feelin. Like dancin on the fuckin tables!!!!! 7-0 Orioles at the Yankees baby

All of a sudden KC cant win. As soon as you crown a team they collapse. So lets just keep a lid on my Birds. The Yankees annnouncers, who I must put up with here, said Baltimore is the team to have to deal with. They are not sold on Toronto and believe many O's will break through late

Edited by LedZeppfan77

The score would lead you to believe the O's put an ass whoopin' on Tanaka, but I'm looking at the boxscore & Tanaka only gave up 3 runs, which is not terrible. Apparently, the O's got to the bullpen....

3 runs was all we needed.

Yay!!!!!

O's only 1.5 back of the division now, with a chance to cut into the lead a bit more--O's play the White Sox, a series Baltimore should win & the Blue Jays play the Yanks again & we know the Yanks own Toronto. Hmmm....

First of all Paul, no breaks in this game. We get Sale tomorrow. And that is a bitch. Chen has been real good so should be a good one. The White Sox are no pushover. And Toronto has lost 16 in a row at Yankee stadium for some reason I do not know. I would expect them to win at least one or two in this series? Not sure of the pitching matchup tomorrow? Might favor NY? We took care of business and only an unlikely 9th inning blown save by Zack saved them a sweep. We know how to beat the Yankees. We have the best record easily in the AL East. I am a bit surprised with Seattle sweeping at KC.

The Orioles are starting to come through for Buck. What a gutsy challenge in inning one. Cruz had just been robbed by the home plate umpire calling him out on a pitch that was no way a strike. Buck just shook his head and the Yankee announcers conceded it was a bad call. So Bottom of the inning the Yankees lead off with an apparent triple. But the runner over reached third base and was then tagged. The replay was close. Buck challenged and won in the Bronx and of course that did not get a warm reception. It payed off. Tillman then went on to cruise. No runs for the Yankees and Schoop, who has been suck a great player at 2nd base hits one of Tanaka over the wall. Even Hardy was able to get the monkey off his back and get his first. Not much time to celebrate. Sale comes in with the White Sox tomorrow vs Chen. Go O's!!!!!!!!!

A little walk down memory lane tomorrow Paul when your Mets play the Oakland A's. Remember those series back in the 70's? Oakland was in many a series as were my O's in those days. They played Cincy and the Mets. We had Pittsburgh twice and the big red machine before they really got going. The Mets have played well of late. But they always come crashing back. They no longer have the likes of Tom Seaver and Jerry Koosman.

^^ The 70s is a little before my time, but I do see the Mets lost in 7 to the A's who were a powerhouse in those days. Now the A's remind me a bit of the Braves--a regular season powerhouse that fades quickly in October.

The Mets did well in the weekend series against the Fish, but I think they are just treading water until the end of the season when Terry Collins will likely be relieved of his manager duties. Nothing to do but look forward to 2015 & hope Matt Harvey will be close to what he was in 2013....

^^ The 70s is a little before my time, but I do see the Mets lost in 7 to the A's who were a powerhouse in those days. Now the A's remind me a bit of the Braves--a regular season powerhouse that fades quickly in October.

The Mets did well in the weekend series against the Fish, but I think they are just treading water until the end of the season when Terry Collins will likely be relieved of his manager duties. Nothing to do but look forward to 2015 & hope Matt Harvey will be close to what he was in 2013....

Its too bad you did not get to see those Mets teams from 69 until the mid 70;s. Tom Seaver is still the best of all time for them and Koosman would be a close second and then likely Goodwin. Oakland was supposed to win that series easily. It was not easy. They had Vida Blue who along with Jim Palmer and Seaver had the best fast balls I have seen in those days. Bob Gibson before them.

Yes, I have done a lot of reading & seen some highlights of Seaver. He is without much argument, the greatest Met of all-time. The most dominant pitcher I can think of from the short time I've been watching MLB is Randy Johnson is his prime, followed closely by Pedro Martinez and Greg Maddux.

Edited by paul carruthers

Yes, I have done a lot of reading & seen some highlights of Seaver. He is without much argument, the greatest Met of all-time. The most dominant pitcher I can think of from the short time I've been watching MLB is Randy Johnson is his prime, followed closely by Pedro Martinez and Greg Maddux.

Seaver and Palmer and Vida Blue all had mustard on their fast balls. I watched them all play growing up. Dave McNally was more of a curve ball and spot pitcher, and my all time favorite. His grand slam vs the big red machine was just something I will never forget. Pitchers in the AL had to hit in those days, but it was a very unlikely thing to occur. Back to Tom Seaver, he was simply fabulous Like Maddox was. I will have to take Seaver over Maddox if I had to chose in their prime. Very similiar. Jerry Koosman was fabulous too. I suggest you watch him.

Just looking at the AL Wild Card standings--the Angels are secure in the first slot & it's a dead heat between the O's and Yanks for the #2 spot. But I'm sure Rick would be the first to tell me, the O's have their eyes on the division title....

Seattle not far behind in the Wild Card Race either...

baseball_zpsa6498512.gif

Just looking at the AL Wild Card standings--the Angels are secure in the first slot & it's a dead heat between the O's and Yanks for the #2 spot. But I'm sure Rick would be the first to tell me, the O's have their eyes on the division title....

Seattle not far behind in the Wild Card Race either...

baseball_zpsa6498512.gif

Talk about a gutsy move, Buck Showalter has benched Davis tonight for Pearce vs the lefty Sale. 2-1 O's as I type and two on in the 3rd with 1 out, sacrifice bunt. 2nd and 3rd 1 out Davis looking on.

O's leave the bases loaded, 0-5 I think with RISP. It's a pitcher's duel tonight, although Sale won't be in there too long--pitch count is way up...

Yeah he is a bitch. We still have the lead. Yankees getting killed last check. Not sure if that is good though. We need to stay in this until Sale is gone. Abreu just tied it.