2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

Yes, the Mets are my team, but there's not much to talk about for them this season. I'm already looking ahead to 2015 when we will have Harvey, Wheeler and Degrom as the top 3 in that rotation and hopefully, a new manager too....

They have shown flash's of success. So maybe they are not that far away. I think the Nats are the team in that division but you can never count Atlanta out of anything. They are just good every year.

Got MLB Network on right now--looks like Scherzer is getting cuffed up a bit, although the starter for the Yanks is almost up to 100 pitches and it's not even the 5th inning yet...

How fortunate for the San Francisco G-Men, that they got to pound on the Mets for 3 out of 4 games. They may not catch the Dodgers, but one of those Wild Card spots is still up for grabs, so redrum may have something to look forward to after all...

Got MLB Network on right now--looks like Scherzer is getting cuffed up a bit, although the starter for the Yanks is almost up to 100 pitches and it's not even the 5th inning yet...

How fortunate for the San Francisco G-Men, that they got to pound on the Mets for 3 out of 4 games. They may not catch the Dodgers, but one of those Wild Card spots is still up for grabs, so redrum may have something to look forward to after all...

No help from the Tigers so far with Sherzer. If he loses Chen can catch him for wins and have a better record. Delmon Young just came in to pinch hit and he hit the ball into center field for a single and an RBI and he is batting over 500 as a pinch hitter. Orioles take the lead 4-3 despite a very shaky start by Gausman. New pitcher is coming in when we are finished batting. Hoping for a big inning here

Wei-Yin Chen as a possible Cy Young candidate? I'm looking at his numbers right now & I don't see why not... although that dude playing for the Mariners is pretty good and he's going tomorrow night....

O's kicking ass right now. Davis just got a hit to lead off 8th. As we are seeing, Detroit does not have alot of depth in their lineup for hitting. They have the best starting rotation but the best three bullpens are easily Seattle, Baltimore and the Angels. Seattle must get in. They do not have alot of hitting and that hurts their tremendous pitching staff. I like the Orioles and Angels to have a big shot at meeting in the ALCS down the road. The Angels have that middle of Trout, Hamilton and Pujols. We have Jones, Davis and Cruz and both teams pens are just plain lights out. OUr starting pitching has really come on. So bring on the Tigers and A's I say. I hope they manage a win in NY. I am very disappointed so far in their game. Hardy is tearing up the Nationals right now. Two on nobody out and 5-3 Orioles

O's breaking it open... I'm guessing the Elvis smiley will be getting some work tonight.... :lol:

7-3 which means if this holds up we will go into Toronto 4 up on them and I am hoping to get at least two. They are on a 3 game skid right now. Their best pitcher going against Norris who has been red hot.

Never have seen this EVER in baseball. Buck let Brach come up and bat cleanup in the 9th, with O Day up getting ready to close out the game in bullpen. The whole dugout is laughing. He hit it to center field, fly out. But he hit it. It may be his first ever at bat? They are looking it up. Yes, Brach the pitcher!!!!!!

Yes first official major league at bat. More Orioles fans than Nats fans in Wash and O's win!!!!!!!

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Never have seen this EVER in baseball. Buck let Brach come up and bat cleanup in the 9th, with O Day up getting ready to close out the game in bullpen. The whole dugout is laughing. He hit it to center field, fly out. But he hit it. It may be his first ever at bat? They are looking it up. Yes, Brach the pitcher!!!!!!

Damn...totally missed that. I need to pay more attention and stop reading message boards :)

Damn...totally missed that. I need to pay more attention and stop reading message boards :)

They let him bat as a reward and I guess he must have asked Buck if he could do it. Why not. And I tell you, he knows what he is doing up there. NL pitchers are at a disadvantage because they do not really know who can or cannot hit for the AL> Dave McNally's home run in 1970 was the one of the greatest moments I remember. Who saw that coming? Oh, and it was a grand slam in case you do not know the history. Against the Big Red Machine.

Well Paul, we are 2-0 vs Buerle and we are on fire and they have lost 3 straight. I like the Orioles. Norris has been great. Throw out those records you see in front of Baltimore's starting pitchers. Its very deceptive. The Tigers had best get the job done tonight. Price is going. Kershaw and King Felix both pitch tonight. Markakis and Machado are both hot and the kid Joseph, who is clearly our best catcher with Matt our for the season, is hitting great in situations. Hardy is too as he had a big night. We are going to need Cruz to wake up at some point. He did get robbed on a diving catch last night but he has to get his mechanics back in order at the plate. But we continue to win regardless due to a great bullpen and a staff that is very underated. And Yes, there were a ton of Orioles fans at the game last night. the proximity of the teams is always going to assure lots of "enemy" fans when these teams meet on rare occasion. Well, its Toronto and I am hoping we can go in and sweep them. For them to really gain on us they pretty much have to sweep us. I do not see that happening.

PS (I know you know the history Esther regarding McNally, that was directed at whoever reads the post other than you)

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Most of the analysts I see on tv today are getting all giddy about tonight's Angels/Dodgers game--billing it as Kerhsaw vs. Mike Trout. History tells me that games like this rarely live up to the hype but maybe tonight will be different....

I am guessing a 1030 start on that one and this is the best chance for the Dodgers to beat them in this series. I cannot go against Kershaw. The Angels are one game back of Oakland, but I believe after tonight it will be 2 again. I also like the Orioles and the Tigers tonight. But on my contest pick, I took the best price and went with, the Twins! Yes i think they will win tonight. Not that it means anything. But our games are huge. I hope Cruz wakes up tonight. Looking at the standings, its no sure thing the Braves will get in Paul. They trail right now even for the second wild card. If they do not get in, then who do you cheer for?

I'm not cheering for the Braves so much; I'm just hoping to get some points in the MLB contest. That's my main motivation for getting behind the Braves. Of course, even if they get into the postseason, they will likely be "one and done" again. They have a habit of doing that, much like the Oakland A's or the Cincinnati Bengals.

One team I am actively rooting for is Seattle and right now they are 2 behind Toronto for that 2nd wild card in the AL....

I just took a peak at MLB Network and apparently, the Yankees are not scared of the buzzsaw that is the top of the Tigers rotation. Beat Scherzer last night, beating Price right now and Verlander on deck tomorrow...

Norris got into a bit of trouble, but got out of it only giving up 2 runs, so far...

I just took a peak at MLB Network and apparently, the Yankees are not scared of the buzzsaw that is the top of the Tigers rotation. Beat Scherzer last night, beating Price right now and Verlander on deck tomorrow...

Norris got into a bit of trouble, but got out of it only giving up 2 runs, so far...

Things have changed Paul. My boys are kicking some damn ass. 6-2 Orioles and the Tigers have tied the Yankees. Cabrera up next inning so maybe he will do something. Davis hit one out for us. We have another 3 HR's so far

See no reason to fear Detroit in the playoffs as they cannot hit like they used to. I see two names that scare me. Cabrera and Martinez. And they have the desperation to use Chamberlain in the pen? He sucks. Our bullpen is ten times better. I want either the Tigers or Oakland. Want no part of the Angels or Seattle if we had to play a short series but I highly doubt it. Orioles defense shining again

Mariners score 4 runs--when King Felix is pitching, 4 runs must feel like 8. Mark Buerhle's stuff wasn't fooling anybody last night. If the O's offense has woken up, to go with their solid pitching, all I can say is watch out.

Nor only that but I just heard Jjiminez may be assigned to the bullpen when he returns in light of the recent great play of our starters. And also, Dylan Bundy is really looking good down in the minors. Its possible he could get a call from the Orioles before the year is out. just imagine if he works out. Guasman to me is going to be a good one. Miguel Gonzalez has some great games but then again he has moments when he gets shelled. I am not as sure if he is safe in the rotation? So the Yankees may get Tanaka back? Last night their pitching staff was extended as far as possible. I would be very surprised if the Tigers did not pummel them tonight. With Verlander going. If Verlander can get on track, its agaisnt the Yankees who can not hit very well these days.

Tanaka had "Tommy John", so there's no way he's coming back this season....

Verlander has been up & down, but I believe he's pitched better lately his last few starts. With the addition of Price, it makes me wonder about the Tiger's rotation for the postseason. Is it possible Justin would be dropped to the number 3 starter for the playoffs?

Tanaka had "Tommy John", so there's no way he's coming back this season....

Verlander has been up & down, but I believe he's pitched better lately his last few starts. With the addition of Price, it makes me wonder about the Tiger's rotation for the postseason. Is it possible Justin would be dropped to the number 3 starter for the playoffs?

I heard Tanaka threw 20 pitches? Strange. Well, they are not going any where anyway. I do not think they will beat Seattle out for Wild Card

Friday night MLB channel game. St Louis at Baltimore!!!

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Tanaka did not have TJ surgery. He's just resting and rehabbing. Hopefully he will not be able to pitch before the end of the season.

And I only mean that in the best possible way ;)