Year By Year - 1967

lipslikecherries

:lol: I know! I was going to start the '69 thread at the same time as '68, but I felt that '68 would have become totally neglected and ignored!

'68.....The year my troubles began. :lol:

Great thread. '68 was indeed an eventful year -- it's been called "the most eventful year in American history since the Civil War." That same year was also hugely eventful elsewhere in the world -- in "Swinging" London, and during the intense worker/student protests in Paris and elsewhere in France, etc.

Then, of course, there was '69....

That's awful. I can only imagine what it must have been like being sent into an unjust war people didn't want to fight. I heard Vietnam vets were basically spit on for fighting in that war, is that true?

I wasn't drafted but my brother was at the very start of the war. He got back 'ok' but did have PTSD. It was a horror show for me just to have to endure the draft physical in Oakland. I told the psych straight up that I was pretty much out of my mind. There were about 6 of us at the end of the day who had to see him. I remember though he was a real nice guy. How odd. :)

And yes, it's true about the returning soldiers being spat upon and called 'baby killers.' It was a sad time in our history. :(

I wasn't drafted but my brother was at the very start of the war. He got back 'ok' but did have PTSD. It was a horror show for me just to have to endure the draft physical in Oakland. I told the psych straight up that I was pretty much out of my mind. There were about 6 of us at the end of the day who had to see him. I remember though he was a real nice guy. How odd. :)

And yes, it's true about the returning soldiers being spat upon and called 'baby killers.' It was a sad time in our history. :(

Thanks for sharing your story redrum. I can't imagine what that must have been like for you or anyone who faced being drafted. It's crazy that the soldiers were being called baby-killers. As irrelevant as it may be for me to say, some were forced to participate in that war. And I couldn't imagine anyone would get away with treating soldiers that way today. I have heard a lot about the Vietnam War, it is very disturbing. And the iconic images of the children in my mind bring tears to my eyes....

I think that period of the Vietnam War was a real high point in journalism and photo-journalism.

Thanks for sharing your story redrum. I can't imagine what that must have been like for you or anyone who faced being drafted. It's crazy that the soldiers were being called baby-killers. As irrelevant as it may be for me to say, some were forced to participate in that war. And I couldn't imagine anyone would get away with treating soldiers that way today. I have heard a lot about the Vietnam War, it is very disturbing. And the iconic images of the children in my mind bring tears to my eyes....

I think that period of the Vietnam War was a real high point in journalism and photo-journalism.

The war was all for naught. Such a waste of lives and resources from both sides. I remember it seemed like it was never going to end and I really wasn't into protesting the war either. I had enough to worry about. I remember the day my brother came home from the war in 1967. This was before I went crazy. We lived in an old 3 story flat in San Fran and he came running up the steps with his duffle bag and uniform on and when my Mother saw him she started to cry. I never realized then the worry she had gone through while he was over there, especially with the news coverage of how many Americans were killed each week. It was so cool when he came back as we started hanging out with each other and going to a lot of the concerts together. He also bought a BSA 441 Victor motorcycle and we'd ride around totally stoned on it. Fun times. :)

I have two books by war photographers David Douglas Duncan and Larry Burrows. Duncan put out a book called 'I PROTEST' where he took pics of the Marines at Khe Sanh. He felt the war was going bad at the time. The other book is called 'COMPASSIONATE PHOTOGRAPHER' by Burrows. He took some great pics of the war and he was lost in a helicopter over Laos and was never found.

The color shot was by Burrows. The black & white by Duncan.

post-503-0-18846100-1405462391_thumb.jpg

post-503-0-24346500-1405462929_thumb.jpg

il_570xN.379223424_khp0.jpg

This ad brings back memories. Avocado, coppertone and harvet gold kitchen appliances.

I was seven years old in 1967 and completed second grade that June. That summer my family saw the films You Only Live Twice and In the Heat of the Night at the drive-in. The theme song from You Only Live Twice (sung by Nancy Sinatra) was a big hit that year. Nancy also father recorded a duet with her father, Something Stupid, that got a lot of air time in 1967. My favorite TV programs were Lost in Space, That Girl, The Flintstones and the Beatles Cartoon. My favorite toys were my Easy-Bake oven, and Legos. I was trying to master Double Dutch jump roping.

Songs that received a lot of airplay on the radio that year included I Can See for Miles by The Who, Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles, Ain't No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, You Make Me Feel Like by Aretha Franklin and For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield. Otis Redding recorded his greated song, On the Dock of the Bay shortly before dying in a plane crash in December 1967. To quote Old Blue Eyes, "It was a very good year."

In retrospect 1967 was a great time to be a little girl. I was born early enough to experience a black, blue collar, inner city neighborhood that was still a safe place to raise children. Drugs and gangs hadn't arrived yet. There was a lot of social change and upheaval going on in America at the time, but as a young child I was sheltered from it. I was born late enough to reap the benefits of the civil rights and feminist movements.

This ad brings back memories. Avocado, coppertone and harvet gold kitchen appliances.

I was seven years old in 1967 and completed second grade that June. That summer my family saw the films You Only Live Twice and In the Heat of the Night at the drive-in. The theme song from You Only Live Twice (sung by Nancy Sinatra) was a big hit that year. Nancy also father recorded a duet with her father, Something Stupid, that got a lot of air time in 1967. My favorite TV programs were Lost in Space, That Girl, The Flintstones and the Beatles Cartoon. My favorite toys were my Easy-Bake oven, and Legos. I was trying to master Double Dutch jump roping.

Songs that received a lot of airplay on the radio that year included I Can See for Miles by The Who, Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles, Ain't No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, You Make Me Feel Like by Aretha Franklin and For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield. Otis Redding recorded his greated song, On the Dock of the Bay shortly before dying in a plane crash in December 1967. To quote Old Blue Eyes, "It was a very good year."

How neat! Thank you Disco Duck for sharing!

I found the theme songs to your favorite tv shows!

http://youtu.be/6cUUQ_sxH14

http://youtu.be/C3yK77GWBbk

http://youtu.be/IKiZm9RzO24

http://youtu.be/DVfHQCZJfd8

:D

In retrospect 1967 was a great time to be a little girl. I was born early enough to experience a black, blue collar, inner city neighborhood that was still a safe place to raise children. Drugs and gangs hadn't arrived yet. There was a lot of social change and upheaval going on in America at the time, but as a young child I was sheltered from it. I was born late enough to reap the benefits of the civil rights and feminist movements.

I was raised in an integrated neighborhood and school (The Western Addition and Anza Elementary School in San Fran). Had a few black friends then: Ralph Lee and Charles Cavness. Charles passed away about 10 years ago.

My friend Bill had the model on the right. The night the acid really hit me we were driving up on Bernal Heights in SF at dawn. It was winter with icy roads (rare in SF) and Bill was spinning do-nuts on the ice. Yee Haw! :)

post-503-0-36289400-1405813276.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Other events which occurred in '67 and have barely been mentioned on this thread include: Ali was stripped of his heavyweight title for refusing to be drafted; the Israelis fought the '67 war in the Middle East; race riots broke out in major cities across the U.S.; miniskirts became popular with huge numbers of American women; and the first discos and singles bars appeared in the United States.

Other events which occurred in '67 and have barely been mentioned on this thread include: Ali was stripped of his heavyweight title for refusing to be drafted; the Israelis fought the '67 war in the Middle East; race riots broke out in major cities across the U.S.; miniskirts became popular with huge numbers of American women; and the first discos and singles bars appeared in the United States.

"I ain't got no quarrel with the Cong." I remember overhearing my parents discuss the Muhammad Ali scandal, but I didn't remember that it happened in 1967. Thanks for the reminder. My father was a military veteran, but his sympathies were with Ali.

Archived