Year By Year - 1967

lipslikecherries

Hi everybody! I am interested in knowing which albums came out in 1967. Which bands were around? Good. Bad. One hit wonders. Which live performances do you recommend or remember? Also what was happening in the news or socially at that time? There are many members here who are older and more experienced than I am and it would be interesting to hear what everyone remembers and knows! What I want to do is start at 1967 and move forward to '68, '69 etc. Hopefully together we can get turned onto some really great music and learn more about each other, our experiences and history!

'67 was a great year for music. Pink Floyd's Piper at the gates of dawn, the Beatles' Sgt Pepper (personally I prefer the former), Big Brother and the Holding Company, Cream's Disraeli Gears.... the list goes on and on. It depends what sort of music you're into, apart from Zep, really.

I'm sure others will recommend many more.

Can I ask, why is it 1967 you're particulartly interested in?

As for other things going on: the first two things I think of are homosexuality being legalised and, of course, the Summer of Love.

As jimjam said, the list goes on and on. Some of the older members here on the forum might be able to share their insights and tell you some great stories. When I think of U.S. politics and history in that year, I think of President Johnson's Great Society programs and our country's increasingly deep involvement in the Vietnam War (Johnson was under a lot of pressure).I think of the anti-Vietnam War protest movement, and the Civil Rights movement, and the Black power movement, and the women's liberation movement, all gaining strength. The pediatrician Dr. Spock's revolutionary and permissive methods for raising babies and children were very popular in the country. The next year -- 1968 -- stands out more in my mind; it was one of the most eventful and pivotal years in American (and music!!!) history.

The Monkees - Head quarters, Love - Forever Changes, Cream - Disraeli Gears, The Doors - The Doors, Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced, These are ones that I have, there are many, many more as The Kinks,The Hollies, The Who, The Stones, Velvet Underground were all releasing albums in that period.

1966 and '67 bring back a lot of great memories. My first 'live' concert was at the Avalon Ballroom in San Fran. with Big Brother and Janis. I was floored and rarely missed a weekend concert after that, including The Fillmore and Winterland. I remember carrying around the Grateful Dead's first album and also getting a quizzical look from a record store when I bought Country Joe & The Fish's first album. We also had a garage band and had a blast playing even though we didn't know much about music. I saw Hendrix in June 1967 play for free in The Panhandle and I also saw him that night at the Fillmore. It was $3.50 or so to get in. How I wish I had a camera then. I went through the Summer Of Love too. I lived right over the hill from the Haight and used to ride the 33 Ashbury bus to get there. One of my fave bands back then was 'Love w/Arthur Lee.' They had some great songs. More later. :)

1966 and '67 bring back a lot of great memories. My first 'live' concert was at the Avalon Ballroom in San Fran. with Big Brother and Janis. I was floored and rarely missed a weekend concert after that, including The Fillmore and Winterland. I remember carrying around the Grateful Dead's first album and also getting a quizzical look from a record store when I bought Country Joe & The Fish's first album. We also had a garage band and had a blast playing even though we didn't know much about music. I saw Hendrix in June 1967 play for free in The Panhandle and I also saw him that night at the Fillmore. It was $3.50 or so to get in. How I wish I had a camera then. I went through the Summer Of Love too. I lived right over the hill from the Haight and used to ride the 33 Ashbury bus to get there. One of my fave bands back then was 'Love w/Arthur Lee.' They had some great songs. More later. :)

This is great

'67 was a great year for music. Pink Floyd's Piper at the gates of dawn, the Beatles' Sgt Pepper (personally I prefer the former), Big Brother and the Holding Company, Cream's Disraeli Gears.... the list goes on and on. It depends what sort of music you're into, apart from Zep, really.

I'm sure others will recommend many more.

Can I ask, why is it 1967 you're particulartly interested in?

As for other things going on: the first two things I think of are homosexuality being legalised and, of course, the Summer of Love.

yes, I was wondering that, too ..... was that the year you were born? I get the feeling you are much younger than that?

I was born in 62, so was only a little kid starting school then, but I can remember hearing Beatles songs a lot! :)

This is great

:)

What was really cool back in '67 was the Fillmore would have afternoon concerts from 2 PM til about 9 PM. In summer you'd come out and the sun would still be up. It was always fun to step inside the doorway of the Fillmore and as you went up the steps the building was vibrating from the bass and volume of the bands. I liked to hang out around the strobe light with my tambourine. When Hendrix played in the Panhandle he used the amp from the girl band called 'The Ace Of Cups.' They were good too.

6.25.67 The Panhandle, Golden Gate Park - Jimi Hendrix Experience/Ace of Cups

Free concert. This was the week after Monterey Pop, and the Jimi Hendrix Experience was playing the Fillmore all week. The Electric Flag were rehearsing at the Ace of Cups house in Mill Valley, and that is how Ace of Cups got the call to open for Hendrix in the park. Hendrix used Mary Ellen Simpson’s amp.

My concert days had not yet started as I was only 10. My first hockey game, and a year after the blizzard of 66 which I will never forget. Ten more years until I saw Led Zeppelin. My first concert would be around 1970, Jeff Beck. Then America and then a countless number after, with LZ, The Who and Stones being the main ones

I just wanted to say that 1965, '66 and '67 were the best years for me as a teenager. Unfortunately, in early 1968 I went insane from LSD and it was all downhill from then til about 1972 or so. I was lucky to have made it through and had come very close to suicide because of the drug. But once my head cleared up I felt so good about being alive. I would never wish what I went through on anyone. I was truly in a self made hell. But before that I love to reminisce about those times when I think about all my friends and the garage band we had then. :)

I just wanted to say that 1965, '66 and '67 were the best years for me as a teenager. Unfortunately, in early 1968 I went insane from LSD and it was all downhill from then til about 1972 or so. I was lucky to have made it through and had come very close to suicide because of the drug. But once my head cleared up I felt so good about being alive. I would never wish what I went through on anyone. I was truly in a self made hell. But before that I love to reminisce about those times when I think about all my friends and the garage band we had then. :)

I'm glad you came out of it well.

Tell me, were those years as good as people like to remember them (though from what you've said it certainly sounds that way). It's only that I sometimes look back and wish I'd been arond at that time, but then I think that people often have the ''rose-coloured glasses syndrome'' when reminiscing. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Back on topic, also released in '67 of course is the Yardbirds' Little Games. Good album.

I'm glad you came out of it well.

Tell me, were those years as good as people like to remember them (though from what you've said it certainly sounds that way). It's only that I sometimes look back and wish I'd been arond at that time, but then I think that people often have the ''rose-coloured glasses syndrome'' when reminiscing. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Back on topic, also released in '67 of course is the Yardbirds' Little Games. Good album.

Thanks jimjam, I'm glad I made it too. :)

Whenever I look back at those times (pre '68) I always get a good feeling mainly because of my friends and the music scene. The Haight was the place to be and we were always over there to listen to the free music and get high and also to be among the people. I also didn't know then that they had 'Hippie Tour Busses' that would take straight people around to observe us like we were in a zoo or something. :lol: It really was something to be a part of and I have no regrets prior to LSD thing. I would definitely do it all over again if I could (and take a different route, hopefully) and I think I could have become a professional drummer if I'd stayed with it. I still play today on my Roland electronic kit. But I know also that when George Harrison visited the Haight he thought it would be a 'utopia' but was dissappointed by all the runaways and drug use. I think he removed his rose colored glasses then. But it was a blast for the 3 years I mentioned. I still love to play along with the songs from back then. The Yardbirds were also a hot band then and I always remember a girl named Karen who carried their album around with her. It was a great time to be a teenager and I won't dwell on the later bad times.

In this pic by the late, great Jim Marshall, I was just off to the right when Jimi played the Panhandle.

post-503-0-70113900-1402535338_thumb.jpg

I'm glad you made it through too, redrum -- your posts are fascinating

My impression has always been that there were times when the purest, most noble, and totally uncorrupted ideals of "flower power" really were being lived out and experienced by people in the real world; not just in the Haight, but on communes, etc. It wasn't just a beautiful dream, it was a real phenomenon, a social experiment that briefly worked. Of course, it usually didn't last long: Communes would succumb to internal power struggles, leadership battles, personal rivalries, jealousy issues, etc.

hey lipslikcherries :poke: you seem to have forgotten your thread ..... ?

That's a neat emoticon! Nope I haven't forgotten. I am soaking it all up. :) And I think this is redrum's thread now and I'm totally cool with it! :lol::thumbsup:

I need to start the '68 thread soon so we can get on with the time travel, and so more members can share their memories!! :hippy: :hippy:

That's a neat emoticon! Nope I haven't forgotten. I am soaking it all up. :) And I think this is redrum's thread now and I'm totally cool with it! :lol::thumbsup:

I need to start the '68 thread soon so we can get on with the time travel, and so more members can share their memories!! :hippy: :hippy:

ok, but you didn't answer our question ..... ? :)

I'm glad you made it through too, redrum -- your posts are fascinating

My impression has always been that there were times when the purest, most noble, and totally uncorrupted ideals of "flower power" really were being lived out and experienced by people in the real world; not just in the Haight, but on communes, etc. It wasn't just a beautiful dream, it was a real phenomenon, a social experiment that briefly worked. Of course, it usually didn't last long: Communes would succumb to internal power struggles, leadership battles, personal rivalries, jealousy issues, etc.

Thanks. I don't mind telling the stories from back then. I know there were communes around then and I wondered at times how they all fared with what then seemed like the whole damned world was in a total mess. Then along came Zeppelin. :)

My friend Ralph used to live a couple doors down from the Quicksilver Messenger Service band. We were always too afraid to go visit. Ralph was quite the character and very intelligent and creative. We had a lot of fun times. I called his brother about 5 years ago and he told me he had died from alcohol and was homeless. Hard to believe.

Though I never really saw him in the Haight, Hells Angel Chocolate George was liked by the hippies and was killed on his bike in the city. This is a pic of his funeral procession on Dolores St. in SF as they headed out to the cemetery in Colma. I used to have the poster.

post-503-0-15690800-1402619522_thumb.jpg

A list of my friends who frequented 'Dave's Garage' to party and listen to us attempt to play some of the hits of the day:

'The Band'

Guitar: Dave Sprague

Bass: J.V.

Vocals: Bob Tilley

Drums: Me

All the friends I wish I could see again, including the band of course:

Sam

Alex

Henry

John

Karen

Fran

Dianne

Donna

Jerry

Phil

Mike

Mick (brother, deceased)

Glenn (brother, now in prison)

Danny

Charles

Bill

Maybe we'll all meet up again somewhere, sometime.

Love w/Arthur Lee was a great band back then. I found this fairly recent video of one of their hits from back in the day 'Seven And Seven Is.' The drummer gets a killer workout on this one and it's at an even faster tempo than the original. This show was from 2003 and the crowd is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65CqDLURZrQ

Thanks jimjam, I'm glad I made it too. :)

Whenever I look back at those times (pre '68) I always get a good feeling mainly because of my friends and the music scene. The Haight was the place to be and we were always over there to listen to the free music and get high and also to be among the people. I also didn't know then that they had 'Hippie Tour Busses' that would take straight people around to observe us like we were in a zoo or something. :lol: It really was something to be a part of and I have no regrets prior to LSD thing. I would definitely do it all over again if I could (and take a different route, hopefully) and I think I could have become a professional drummer if I'd stayed with it. I still play today on my Roland electronic kit. But I know also that when George Harrison visited the Haight he thought it would be a 'utopia' but was dissappointed by all the runaways and drug use. I think he removed his rose colored glasses then. But it was a blast for the 3 years I mentioned. I still love to play along with the songs from back then. The Yardbirds were also a hot band then and I always remember a girl named Karen who carried their album around with her. It was a great time to be a teenager and I won't dwell on the later bad times.

In this pic by the late, great Jim Marshall, I was just off to the right when Jimi played the Panhandle.

Thanks for sharing your memories, I appreciate it. It sounds such a good time to have been young.

Archived