Black Sails

Reggie29

Anyone else into this?

Black Sails on the Starz channel is a great TV series with events taking place twenty years before Treasure Island. The characters are both real and fictional based on RL Stevenson's book's Captain Flint, Long John Silver and Billy Bones etc. and other known pirates, Edward Teach (Blackbeard), Charles Vane, Jack Rackham (Depp's Sparrow is based on him) and Ann Bonny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eySUZCDjlrQ

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Sorry but Michael Bay is anathema to me. I cannot stand anything he touches.

That's pretty harsh but each to their own. I didn't realise he had anything to do with it.

Nothing like Transformers or Pirates of the Caribbean.

31 minutes ago, Reggie29 said:

That's pretty harsh but each to their own. I didn't realise he had anything to do with it.

Nothing like Transformers or Pirates of the Caribbean.

This comes close to the series "Rome" vibe wise, including the gore and the (tastefully played....why do we always need heterosexual lead characters anyway?) lesbian scenes (and good special FX that don't feel digital). Just downloaded season 1 and watched the first two episodes by now................I like it, and I'm glad to have found another thingy to bingewatch.

I'll take your recommendations under advisement. FYI: I'm just a guy who doesn't watch that much tv to begin with, so I am very particular about what I watch when I do have time.

"The Wire" and "Mad Men" have been about the only two shows in the past 20 years that I felt rewarded viewing from beginning to end. Many other shows I lose interest after a couple seasons.

^^^

I don't watch a lot of TV except the News, Sport, occasional movie but there's a few series, mostly cable produced that I watch regularly. They all come out within weeks of each other, that does provide a lot of short term viewing given they usually consist of up to an average, 13 episodes or so each season. Most "free to air" here is ordinary at best with the odd exception now and then. Vikings being a case in point.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived