Coverdale Page

TNT96

Why should Jimmy be obligated to always go off on far-flung artistic tangents?

Not obligated, but he set the bar high early on. I find it hard to listen to C/P after everything else he's done. If I'm going to get new music, why would I get something of inferior quality than what I'm used to from an artist? You say Page never had much of a solo career, I don't see that as relevant to this thread. He was coming up with all sorts of styles in the 60's for sessions, he's called himself a jack of all trades.

As for Achilles Last Stand, I think that's a great song. All that complexity and nuance, and nowhere near 72 tracks. Page at his best did not need that handicap.

'Rock and Roll' by Zep is not a cerebral song, no. Nor is it brainless. Brainless is 'Feeling Hot' by C/P. The Zep tune is intricately produced, and has swing. The C/P tune is produced for the mass market, and is stiff with no groove.

• 3 months later...
The era was hair metal (or at least the very end of it). I can't think of any other more comfortable genre that Jimmy could have fit into during that time than the one that LZ inspired. It certainly suited him better than the too-laid-back style of The Firm.

Oh God, couldn't agree less.