Live Sublime reminds me of the latter live Zeppelin

Dirty Work

Never really seen Sublime play, even though I am posting these, decent quality stuff is impossible to find, at least for me.

Really see a similarity in the looseness of live Sublime and Led Zeppelin, say, in '77. Great in their own way, the loose vibe adds a whole new element to the performance. Kinda punk rock if you ask me.

If you don't see any similarities to the live sound Led Zep had, hope you at least enjoy the tunes! B)

Well, knowing Sublime's studio stuff and the stuff posted never heard, the approach is definetly Zep--like. I must 

mention that all the players in Sublime are/were(forgot his name, the guy who overdosed)really good musicians

and 95% of other bands out there just can't do this sort of thing. Most other bands may improvise on a guitar solo,

but then stay strictly to the studio parts for everything else. A shame , very talented and versatile, not just a robot.

Gawd...Sublime. I blame them for all the bad ska wankery that went on in the 90s. The Red Hot Chili Peppers get a fair share of blame, too. I don't hear any Led Zeppelin approach in this...latter-day or early-day or any day. I hear the RHCP's influence on them, though.

If you like them, fine. Just don't get the worship they receive. Well, in a way I do...it's because their singer offed himself a la Kurt Cobain. Insuring romanticized notoriety afterwards.

19 hours ago, Strider said:

Gawd...Sublime. I blame them for all the bad ska wankery that went on in the 90s. The Red Hot Chili Peppers get a fair share of blame, too. I don't hear any Led Zeppelin approach in this...latter-day or early-day or any day. I hear the RHCP's influence on them, though.

If you like them, fine. Just don't get the worship they receive. Well, in a way I do...it's because their singer offed himself a la Kurt Cobain. Insuring romanticized notoriety afterwards.

First off, neither of these two committed suicide. While heroin usage and being in a relationship with Courtney Love are both dangerous choices, they're deaths by misadventure, one an accident and one not, rather than "offing themselves". And to suggest that the main reason fans listen to Sublime and Nirvana is that their frontmen are dead from unnatural causes is a new low in logic for a guy who has all the answers.

Most people here understand the depth and breadth of Zep's influence on culture and Rock music and while Sublime has never been my thing, if a serious fan says they hear a LZ influence there, I have no problem taking their word for it. Unless it's Courtney Love.

Sublime has never been my thing either, I go through phases though. Definitely see a tight but loose approach to their live stuff (3 Ring Circus, warning DVD is very incomplete, and is mislabeled as complete, although audio is great... and Stand By You Van, both live albums are great) and the attitude... IDK maybe I just like them both. ;)

On 03/19/2016 at 6:50 PM, Sathington Willoughby said:

No Quarter riff @ 2:03. B)

Dang. No wonder where he got that one. As a guitarist I'd bet money on that whether he realized it at the time or not, bet he knew the No Quarter riff at some point.

PS thanks for summing up the point I tried and failed to make, pretty much. Saved the thread! Lol B)

Edited by Dirty Work

2 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

Dang. No wonder where he got that one. As a guitarist I'd bet money on that whether he realized it at the time or not, bet he knew the No Quarter riff at some point.

PS thanks for summing up the point I tried and failed to make, pretty much. Saved the thread! Lol B)

haha no prob man. A fine band, no doubt, your thread inspired me to break out my old Sublime mix. ;)

If anybody doubts Sublime live, I just recommend you watch the original videos I posted, all of them, because they are a greatest hits of Sublime live.

Sublime was great, but didn't last. Brad was sober for some of the gigs I posted, reportedly, and confirmed by a few too. They really weren't a great live band, the average show sucked, and Bradley was either drunk or something else. So I put a little more value on the ones I posted than I would with another band. He was as bad as Kurt Cobain on stage, but I'd say Kurt was the better live performer. Nothing compares to Led Zeppelin, ever, but IT IS a good listen, trust me. :unsure:

And if you take the time to sort through the live gigs, I can promise you at least half of the gigs on this site are solid. At least most of them. Hey like '77 was. :rolleyes:

Really, they did a great job in the short time they were Sublime. :(

http://sublimearchives.com/bands/sublime/

PAGE 1 "Contact Buzz" is a great place to start B)

Edited by Dirty Work