Zurich 1980 BBC Tape

Jimmywalnutz

Does such an animal exist?

I found a little three song snippet on the web.  It was titled Zurich FM Broadcast. 

JJ Jackson clearly states in his introduction for The Superstar Concert Series program the BBC was there and recorded . And the material was provided by the BBC.

His show was being broadcast out of Chicago and  it wasn't a live broadcast.

I did a lot of searching for a complete tape or at least more tracks.

Im still sifting  through the YouTube pages of C.F.  The dude has so much material . Truly amazing must be an incredible collection .

If  anyone has any info on a Zurich  6/29/80 BBC please share, If it does exist it's a must have for me. It's not just a great show from the Europe 80 Tour it's a great show by any standard.

The tracks featured on the snippet are SIBLY Achilles and Trampled. 

Does anyone recall listening  to the  entire show  on the radio live or previously recorded.

The existing SBD is very good with a few cuts but  the  BBC sampling  sounds great and could be entirely  complete  

Thanks.

The original broadcast also included Stairway to Heaven (including the dubbed in audience noise) from their April 1, 1971 performance, which of course later was officially released on the BBC Sessions. I may be able to get more info in a bit, I know the uploader. As far as I know, it's just the soundboard gussied up a bit. I think this comment on Youtube is pretty spot on. 

Never believed the BBC claim on this radio broadcast.  Just a way to legitimize the soundboard source for this show that was stolen from Page's house in the late 1980s. They can't say "stolen from Jimmy Page's vaults, here's Led Zeppelin live in Zurich 1980!" If they did, would be exposing themselves to lawsuits. They are already in a major gray area broadcasting this to begin with. Not that I'm complaining, because I'm not. ;)

1980 Trampled Underfoot. I don't know that there is a better piece of music - when I'm in the middle of it. It is just so F'ing BEAST.

EDIT: And then I hear ALS. jeeeeeeez. Trampled FTW - but only just.

Some additional info from the uploader of that clip.^

Re: 1980-06-29 Zurich, Switzerland - Soundboard FM Broadcast

•  
  •  

Postby Ian » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:18 am

As far as I remember, it didn't pan out -- the info is spotty, but the recording was not made specifically for the BBC or anything like that. There was a share not too long ago that purported to be from a different source (like a multi mixdown or FM as opposed to SBD) but it was just EQ (if anything).

I remember the radio broadcast. My memory is a little foggy but I remember Train Kept A Rolling, Black Dog, Nobody's Fault But Mine, All My Love, In The Evening and an incomplete Kashmir (They did not play the whole thing, in the middle of the song j. j. Jackson starts talking and the rest of the song gets cut off unfortunately), and the other songs you guys mentioned were included. There were like 2 different bbc-s.s.concert series radio programs that included songs from Zurich 1980, the second one included songs that the first one didn't, and I took the two cassettes that I recorded both the programs with and made it into a more complete cassette of the show (Zurich 1980). These radio programs I am talking about were maybe a year apart or even more, and they weren't the same ones.   One of them was called "Led Zeppelin - 2 decades of performances' and that was like a 2 week-2 part program I think or perhaps more. The other program I don't remember the name. But I had almost a 90 minute cassette's worth of the Zurich 1980 show from those radio programs.

Those were the days, I listened to these radio special programs all the time, was totally into them, and always looked forward to something Zeppelin related. It was always a big treat, and I miss radio specials like that. :)

Archived