Question Re: Concert Footage TSRTS

Just wondering why Zep didn’t use the Earls Court footage for the concert footage for the song remains the same movie? As I’ve read, they didn’t have a lot of footage for the Madison Square Garden footage from 73- why use old footage from 73 when there was footage from 75 for the movie release in 76? Just Curious...

Film and video concert footage was combined to great effect in the video for travelling riverside blues. The sound was semi-synced to the footage and special effects were used to morph between the different clips.

would have been difficult to do it for the TSRTS though in 1976.

ive always found the earls court footage really dull to watch, anyway. Lack of camera angles, etc.

TSRTS was more about a single concert experience anyway.

17 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Film and video concert footage was combined to great effect in the video for travelling riverside blues. The sound was semi-synced to the footage and special effects were used to morph between the different clips.

would have been difficult to do it for the TSRTS though in 1976.

ive always found the earls court footage really dull to watch, anyway. Lack of camera angles, etc.

TSRTS was more about a single concert experience anyway.

The footage from E.C. is amazing! So I politely disagree with you. TSRTS is okay at best. The set list for E.C. is way better too. 

1 hour ago, Black_dog_boogie said:

The footage from E.C. is amazing! So I politely disagree with you. TSRTS is okay at best. The set list for E.C. is way better too. 

I have to politely disagree here. The performances on TSRTS are superior to EC, especially by Page. 

What might be interesting is "the song STILL remains the same" approach to EC, with sequences used to punctuate the static camera footage.

I'm not talking about new fantasy sequences with a 70-something Jones fiddling with his Spanish onions, but maybe archive off-stage footage or just weird montages put together by hipgnosis or the like.

the DVD could also contain the full EC footage untouched for those who just want to watch the gig.

On 1/5/2018 at 11:59 PM, Charlie Brown said:

Just wondering why Zep didn’t use the Earls Court footage for the concert footage for the song remains the same movie? As I’ve read, they didn’t have a lot of footage for the Madison Square Garden footage from 73- why use old footage from 73 when there was footage from 75 for the movie release in 76? Just Curious...

Simple answer is that the EC footage was shot only for the video screens, not for any potential subsequent ancillary release - unlike Knebworth - whereas the MSG '73 material was shot on 35mm film (as opposed to both EC and Knebworth, both shot on videotape) and specifically for the planned movie.

They had plans to both shoot (I presume on 35mm film again) and multi-track one or more shows in the subsequently-cancelled August/September '75 U.S. dates to replace the MSG '73 footage (plus the reshoots that took place at Shepperton studios in Aug '74), and that would have been cool, but alas, fate intervened on that one...

Archived