Locarno 1971

Locarno1971

Hi. Just joined this forum as at the ripe old age of 61 my interest in Led Zeppelin has been recently rekindled. I saw them live several times, the first occasion being on Nov 12 1971 at the Locarno in Sunderland. Just about the most memorable night of my life. Can remember big chunks of the gig in great detail. I ended up squashed right at the front literally 12 inches from Robert Plants belly button. I think that the fourth album was released the very same day and I rushed down the town next day to buy it.

was anyone else at this gig.? Happy memories......

On 25/02/2018 at 8:34 PM, paplbojo said:

Hello!

What was it like hearing rock and roll and stairway to heaven for the first time before hearing the album versions? Do you remember stairway?

Hi. 

I had heard Stairway to Heaven on the live radio broadcast a few months earlier. At that time I knew it was a very special song - seeing it performed in front of me was even more special. Rock and Roll was an instant hit - the place was bouncing.

They also played Black Dog from the fourth album but with an intro of Out on the tiles.

2 minutes ago, Locarno1971 said:

Hi. 

I had heard Stairway to Heaven on the live radio broadcast a few months earlier. At that time I knew it was a very special song - seeing it performed in front of me was even more special. Rock and Roll was an instant hit - the place was bouncing.

They also played Black Dog from the fourth album but with an intro of Out on the tiles.

Incredible

On 25/02/2018 at 7:54 PM, Locarno1971 said:

Hi. Just joined this forum as at the ripe old age of 61 my interest in Led Zeppelin has been recently rekindled. I saw them live several times, the first occasion being on Nov 12 1971 at the Locarno in Sunderland. Just about the most memorable night of my life. Can remember big chunks of the gig in great detail. I ended up squashed right at the front literally 12 inches from Robert Plants belly button. I think that the fourth album was released the very same day and I rushed down the town next day to buy it.

was anyone else at this gig.? Happy memories......

There's not many from the North East still on here  (There were a few but they were too young to see them in the early 70's) and I don't know anyone who was at the Locarno show. You are a in a unique position and I don't mean having been close to Plants belly button.  Must have been great. My first show was in Stoke in 1973.

Archived