Best/Favorite Kubrick Film?

gibsonfan159

My personal favorite is A Clockwork Orange. Where most of his films are slow moving and long, this tends to hold one's attention a little better. His distinctive imagery is pretty legendary, with even Zep copying it. The underlying theme of morals vs desire is displayed coherently.

The Shining is a close second, again with legendary imagery and cinematography. I think the film is a little dated even for it's time, which is opposite of what Kubrick usually achieves.

2001 is a film I always watch when it's on. It truly is a masterpiece and unrivaled for it's time.

The Killing and Paths Of Glory are a good representation of what he was capable of early on, creating interesting characters crossed with intriguing plots.

Barry Lyndon- Even though I respect this one, holy crap is it slow. Heavily stylized and mundane, this one drags way too much.

Dr. Strangelove- I've watched this so many times trying to get into it, but I have a hard time. Yes, I get it- it's political satire. I understand Sellers gives a great performance. But there's just something lacking about it. Same with Lolita.

Full Metal Jacket- Obviously a classic, but a bit overdone in my opinion. Apocalypse Now has a better tone about it regarding the subject matter.

Eyes Wide Shut- Cruise is a good actor, but I just don't get this one. The plot is very vague and no true interpretation is ever given about the film. It's just a dream sequence that's left to puzzle the viewers.

Spartacus- Doesn't count as a true Kubrick film in my opinion.

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

My personal favorite is A Clockwork Orange. Where most of his films are slow moving and long, this tends to hold one's attention a little better. His distinctive imagery is pretty legendary, with even Zep copying it. The underlying theme of morals vs desire is displayed coherently.

The Shining is a close second, again with legendary imagery and cinematography. I think the film is a little dated even for it's time, which is opposite of what Kubrick usually achieves.

2001 is a film I always watch when it's on. It truly is a masterpiece and unrivaled for it's time.

The Killing and Paths Of Glory are a good representation of what he was capable of early on, creating interesting characters crossed with intriguing plots.

Barry Lyndon- Even though I respect this one, holy crap is it slow. Heavily stylized and mundane, this one drags way too much.

Dr. Strangelove- I've watched this so many times trying to get into it, but I have a hard time. Yes, I get it- it's political satire. I understand Sellers gives a great performance. But there's just something lacking about it. Same with Lolita.

Full Metal Jacket- Obviously a classic, but a bit overdone in my opinion. Apocalypse Now has a better tone about it regarding the subject matter.

Eyes Wide Shut- Cruise is a good actor, but I just don't get this one. The plot is very vague and no true interpretation is ever given about the film. It's just a dream sequence that's left to puzzle the viewers.

Spartacus- Doesn't count as a true Kubrick film in my opinion.

You pretty much nailed it right there except for Strangelove (IMO). I really like Strangelove and in our current political "climate" the satire of Strangelove is unfortunately sliding very close to reality. Everything else is right on.

17 hours ago, IpMan said:

in our current political "climate" the satire of Strangelove is unfortunately sliding very close to reality.

I don't know, NK's hand is being forced & denuclearization hopefully upcoming. & the soon to be announced (according to Bloomberg) pulling out of the Iran deal while reinstating the harsh 2015 sanctions making Iran's nuke dreams 100x more difficult, the world seems to be moving farther from a Dr. Strangelove reality by the day. Thank goodness. 

Archived