Vinyl Records

jln309

I just bought 3 Led Zep Vinyls from a record shop...

2,3,4.  The guy who sells records always gives the best deals.  I am pretty sure they are original pressings, by original I mean older - not firsts or anything super valuable but I am curious if there are any distinguishable markers on them so I can be assured they are old copies.  The records are in incredible condition so I just want to make sure they are not swapped. I looked up the Atlantic labels from the late 60s, early 70s and they match but I still am not sure if they were ever recreated down the line on remasters or anything.

I am new to record collecting but honestly it just came from the joy of the music! Then I got curious haha

The 4 has the Porky and duck markings and the 3 has the So Mote Be It but again I am not sure if these were recreated on modern prints as well.

Thanks!

image1 (11).JPG

image2 (7).JPG

image4 (4).JPG

image3 (5).JPG

image5 (4).JPG

Edited by jln309

III and IV are original first pressings. With II, check the fine print at the bottom of the label - if the address is 1841 Broadway, it's a first. If it's Rockefeller Plaza, It would date to 1974. If it is a first, ; check the run-out etchings on both sides. If you see 'RL' then you can buy 500 lottery tickets and win a billion dollars.

The MO on the label of 3 indicates that it's a Monarch pressing , it should sound very good.  Check Discogs for more detailed info and compare values with the listings. There are so many variants that it will take you some time, but you can get more info on your specific pressing by looking up the matrix numbers on Discogs. If you're copy of 2 has the initails RL ( Robert Ludwig pressing),  in the deadwax and it's a clean copy,  it is worth hundreds! Maybe close to a grand right now. Depends on the condition. 

WOW you guys are amazing.  No LR which is probably a good thing because I really want to play this album and if it were worth that much Id be scared! haha  Im still shocked at the condition of these.  It seems like this person bought them, listened to them once and never again.

Can you please tell me what Matrix numbers are?  My 3 has So Mote Be It on both sides.  I've read that there are many variations to this.  Can this be dated to a specific year with it on both sides or did they do random pressings of this mixed with Do What Though Wilt?

13 minutes ago, jln309 said:

Can you please tell me what Matrix numbers are? 

The matrix number on the IV record starts with ST-A-.., you can see it on the pic you provided. Look those numbers up on discogs for pressing details.

5 minutes ago, jln309 said:

Thank you! 

Oh my gosh I just went on there and they range in price so much! I have a lot to look at! Do all 3s have the spin wheel? 

Not all, but the ones that matter do. Cheap , foreign pressing may not have it.   Happy digging! Compare those matrix and pressing numbers and letters, and if you see an RL in the deadwax of LZ 2 thats a valuable record , and it sounds great! Its a hot mix, pulled after a short run . Look up the story, kinda funny. 

39 minutes ago, jln309 said:

WOW you guys are amazing.  No LR which is probably a good thing because I really want to play this album and if it were worth that much Id be scared! haha  Im still shocked at the condition of these.  It seems like this person bought them, listened to them once and never again.

Can you please tell me what Matrix numbers are?  My 3 has So Mote Be It on both sides.  I've read that there are many variations to this.  Can this be dated to a specific year with it on both sides or did they do random pressings of this mixed with Do What Though Wilt?

A lot of pressings have the inscription, some on both sides " do what thou wilt" , "so mote be it" ...some on just one side. That's not so unique. Matrix numbers are the long series of numbers and letters etched in the deadwax. Compare them to the many versions on discogs catalog list and find yours. The pressing plant initials usually are on the label....MO, PR, SP   etc.

Thank you! So I just ended up with another LZ 2 cover and it must be a later pressing because its far from the quality of the one that I have already.   I would describe the one I have as a sort of a think matte cardboard with the gold record sticker on it (not sure it matters...) and the cover I just got is more of a semi gloss and very light weight cardboard.  I think its still probably still from the 70s but I had no idea they could change so dramatically! The cover of less quality is COVER only.  I happened to buy a bin of records from a guy who lives on the Island and in it he had a few covers of LZ albums.  I said where the heck did the records go?? He said they were lost over the years lol.  I guess one never knows! 

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi, my names Hank. New to this, and had a question relevant to this thread. I have a copy of physical graffiti pressed iat Swan Song in NY, NY in 1975.Atlantic Records. 

Here is the info I have SS-2-200. ST-SS-753309-SP (I read the SP stands for Specialty Record) 

There is no Warner bros logo on the records. And the etching doesn’t have SP I’m it. Also, the letters inside the middle insert with the songs are in red. 

Can anyone tell me what press this is? Because I am stuck at this point. 

it also has the black sticker on the outside plastic on the front of the record with thre songs on it. And at the bottom it says - 

TWO RECORD SET SS 2-2200

Theere is no barcode on the back - there is also a 1-1 etched after the record matric on the dead wax etching. 

And something else I noticed is a strange looking S with a R and C in it etching it as well. The R inside the top loop of the S and the C inside the bottom loop.

Can anyone help me with identifying the press? I won it in a auction with about 150 other records. So far they’ve all been from the 60s and 70s. The sleeve has yellowing so it looks old, but the records look great. 

And if I messed up any terms I apologize. I’m trying to learn the best I can.  Thanks!