Your Time Is Gonna Come Live 8/14/1969

EthanG

Hey everyone, long time Zep fan here but never posted until I found out about this. Before I found this out, I always believed that Your Time Is Gonna Come was only played once in the WLL medley in Japan 1971, and maybe once or twice in 1968 that we don’t know about. To give some background info, I was looking at the set lists of different tours to see if there could be any interesting concerts to take a listen to. That’s when I stumbled upon some interesting info on the Wikipedia page for the group’s 1969 Summer North American Tour. It stated that Your Time is Gonna Come was played NOT as part of a medley, but in FULL, one time on August 14th in Austin, Texas. In disbelief, I checked the info on the show on the official website, and it said that according to the opening act of the show, JPJ borrowed their Hammond organ for a version of YTIGC live. Obviously, I couldn’t find any audio recordings cause if their were, people would have probably heard it by now. I can’t find any other mention of this and the only thing I’ve ever seen people say was that Japan 1971 was the only time. Does anyone have anything to say about this?

Link to Wikipedia Page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_North_American_Tour_Summer_1969

Link to Concert Info: https://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/august-14-1969

But it lists You Shook Me as earlier in the set list. I don’t think they would really redo You Shook Me just to add the organ solo. I hope a soundboard or audience recording surfaces one day so we can listen to the concert.

That's actually quite interesting. It's obvious they never did play it because they couldn't afford to transport a hammond organ with them in 1968-1969, then by 1970 on they had too much material to ever go back to it besides the one time in Osaka '71 during WLL plus Thank You showcased Jonsey on it, but if there was a hammond organ used by another band they shared the stage with I wouldn't see it being out of the question for them to take advantage, especially at that time when they seemed to switch up their set list every single night.

Damn it sucks there is no recording of it that we know of, but we never had a recording of the Glasgow 1972-12-03 show until like 6 months ago so there is somehow still hope for these things. Just not from the actual band lol maybe hope for a remastered Celebration Day show.

I kinda knew YTIGC was never played live in 1968 because of the lack of organ, but it’s always kinda fun to consider that some songs that we think were never played live, could have been played in concerts we don’t have recordings for. As unlikely as it is, it’s always exciting to think about the possibilities. For example, imagine if Houses of the Holy was played once in a random 1972 show that we have no recordings of. As unlikely as it is, it’s cool to imagine it being possible.

Read enough of the press clippings from the band’s various shows, and you’ll see the occasional review which mentions a song being played that actually wasn’t played.

Sure, maybe they did play Your Time Is Gonna Come during some shows. Chances are that it was probably You Shook Me.  

But it wasn’t press clippings that said this, in fact the press clippings of the show don’t mention the song at all. The person who claimed it was the keyboardist of the opening act who claimed JPJ borrowed his organ for the song. He named YTIGC specifically and said it was the second last song(probably an encore) which is pretty far from You Shook Me, which was also played, but toward the beginning of the set. Although, it could be wrong since he could have mixed the songs up (i.e. Texas Pop Festival footage calling I Can’t Quit You Babe as You Shook Me). I understand your doubt since the press made these mistakes before, but the person who let JPJ borrow their keyboard probably would know for sure (At least I hope he knows since I really want this to be true).

20 hours ago, EthanG said:

But it wasn’t press clippings that said this, in fact the press clippings of the show don’t mention the song at all. The person who claimed it was the keyboardist of the opening act who claimed JPJ borrowed his organ for the song. He named YTIGC specifically and said it was the second last song(probably an encore) which is pretty far from You Shook Me, which was also played, but toward the beginning of the set. Although, it could be wrong since he could have mixed the songs up (i.e. Texas Pop Festival footage calling I Can’t Quit You Babe as You Shook Me). I understand your doubt since the press made these mistakes before, but the person who let JPJ borrow their keyboard probably would know for sure (At least I hope he knows since I really want this to be true).

Well there you go...2nd to the last song:

Train>

I Can’t Quit You,

Dazed,

White Summer,

You Shook Me,

How Many More Times

E: Communication Breakdown

So it could very well have been the 2nd to last song of the night not counting the encore.

On Jan 16th in Boston they use an organ for You Shook Me and we have that on tape.  So this was probably the same situation here.

Sure it would have been cool but....

Edited by Sticks of Fire

Well, I meant second last song as before Communication Breakdown and after How Many More Times so that’s why I said maybe it was an encore. Saying second to last song without considering it could be taken the other way was my mistake.