Heartbreaker Audio Comparison

gibsonfan159

Vote on which version sounds best to you  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which mastering do you prefer?

Included are Heartbreaker audio samples from six different masterings of the second album. Put on your good headphones and vote on which one sounds the best to your ears. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KxK42ZkPkNMbQ_q4UDoe9EK-RR8MC52g

The track number correlates with the poll choice. Once there's a significant amount of votes for this poll I'll do another one with The Lemon Song with the choices switched, to see if the results are similar.

Edited by gibsonfan159

I never know if things like this are a goof or if there is a right or wrong answer but damn number 4 is edgier and JPJ is killer high in the mix. That bass with a pick is mindblowing

And listening to them all reminds me that DAMN this is one amazing tune! 

I love things like this. Nice job 159. 

3 hours ago, ADK-Zeppy said:

Did you manage to make notes as to what (if any) changes you made between each of the 6?

I made no changes from the original pressings. These were uploaded straight from the source files. Once enough people vote I'll reveal which ones are which.

These were the tracks used-

1. Classic Records vinyl rip

2. 2014 Deluxe version (1 vote)

3. Diament

4. 1994 Marino (5 votes)

5. 1990 Remasters

6. Robert Ludwig vinyl rip

Very surprised the 1994 remaster made the biggest impression. I thought everyone would be impressed by the volume and dynamics of the 2014 version. Heartbreaker actually has very few sonic differences between the different versions. The Lemon Song versions are easier to distinguish, which I'll do next. 

Edited by gibsonfan159

9 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

These were the tracks used-

1. Classic Records vinyl rip

2. 2014 Deluxe version (1 vote)

3. Diament

4. 1994 Marino (5 votes)

5. 1990 Remasters

6. Robert Ludwig vinyl rip

Very surprised the 1994 remaster made the biggest impression. I thought everyone would be impressed by the volume and dynamics of the 2014 version. Heartbreaker actually has very few sonic differences between the different versions. The Lemon Song versions are easier to distinguish, which I'll do next. 

I agree.  It was difficult to distinguish between all of your samples.  Did you take notes of your own observations or was it difficult for you also?  Between #2 and #4, I would still vote #4 and it's because upon multiple listening, I do think it has more presence......seems more “alive”

ADK-Zeppy 

5 hours ago, ADK-Zeppy said:

Did you take notes of your own observations or was it difficult for you also?

After hearing them so much I could recognize them fairly easily so I couldn't fool myself, except for maybe the two vinyl rips. The Diaments are always more muffled sounding, the 90 is a small step up in the highs, the 94 is a big step up in the highs and less bass, the 2014 keeps the 94 highs but also jacks up the bass. The RL has the cymbals/hi hats up in the mix.