Hunting tigers with slingshots

Hetware

my post really wasnt about how i feel about the situation, more a response to him calling me out on my choice of words, so im not sure why you quoted me...

but ya, its awful what happened...but wouldnt it have been great if neither the 17 year old boy or the endangered tiger had to die...? surely there are ways to learn lessons besides death...

I was really responding to your original question about whether the kid deserved to die for his cruelty and then adding my own thoughts. Yes, it would've been great if neither the tiger nor the boy died, but I'm not sure if there was a lesson to be learned here (not being cruel to animals seems to me something you just know unless you're a born creep--imho).

I'm sorry, but if you provoke a wild animal that is KNOWN to be extremely dangerous, then most likely you are incredibly stupid, and probably don't deserve to live anyways. Especially when the animal did nothing to warrant being messed with in the first place. I mean, it's not like it was sitting there making faces at them or calling them names....it's a tiger! In a cage! I don't think the tiger deserved to be killed. They could have used tranquilizers instead.

You seem to be confusing cause and effect with merit...if one puts ones hand in boiling water one should expect to be burned but this is not to say that one merits the pain...merit infers some 'code' of expected pay back. A boy scout completes the laid out qualifications for a badge, he merits that badge...a football player has an outstanding game he merits the game ball, again, a code though less defined.

In teasing a tiger one can have certain expectations of what the effect might be but there exists no 'code' which would dictate merit or the lack of it...by using the word merit you're implying that there is some sort of tiger code that only you and the tigers know about...

...special thanks to my good buddy webster

No confusion on my part. I actually thought of responding to you with the cause-and-effect angle but since you took issue with my using the word "deserve" I responded in defense of using that word.

Yes, you are correct as far as cause-and-effect goes in this case as well.....so you apparently don't think these gents got what they "deserved" but you do think their actions brought about a necessary consequence?

And no I'm not in on the tiger code, but I would imagine if I were a tiger and someone flicked their slingshot at me and I had it within my power to pounce on them to cause great harm and I did not know the moral code that we humans live by but lived by the law of nature that the strong survive, then yes I would by all means pounce on them and eat them, therefore ridding myself and my tiger friends of what I would deem a threat.

Which goes full circle back to my opening comment, they had it coming to them...whether you call that deserving it or cause-and-effect doesn't matter to me.

The lesson is - don't blame the tiger.

And another lesson as well, don't flick a slingshot at a tiger unless you want to be eaten.

Archived