Hunting tigers with slingshots

Hetware

Some people. :huh:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/14941995/detail.html

SAN FRANCISCO -- Citing an unnamed source, a published report Tuesday said the two brothers who were mauled by a Siberian tiger at that San Francisco Zoo in a Christmas Day fatal attack were carrying slingshots.

The New York Post also reported that an empty vodka bottle was found in a car used by Amritpal Dhaliwal, 19, and his brother, Kulbir, 23, on the day of the mauling. Their friend, 17-year-old Carlos Sousa Jr., was killed in the attack.

The San Francisco police have released scant information about the two men, saying they were not cooperating in the investigation.

If the report was true, the discovery would seem to strengthen the theory that the three men were taunting the big cat before it began its deadly rampage.

The brothers were released from the hospital Saturday, leaving through a side door amid a crush of reporters hoping to clear up lingering questions about how the tiger escaped its enclosure Christmas Day and how the attacks occurred. They offered no comment.

Nor were the brothers seen arriving later that day at the family's San Jose home on a tree-lined street of modern two-story houses. No one answered the door at the home, and a phone listing could not be located.

Police said Sousa Jr.'s neck was slashed while the teen tried to scare away the tiger after it attacked Kulbir Dhaliwal. Sousa died at the scene just before the zoo's closing time on Christmas Day.

The zoo's director has said it was likely the tiger jumped or climbed out of the enclosure -- which has walls about 4 feet lower than recommended national standards -- after an internal review showed no doors had been left open. San Francisco police have said their investigation shows the escape was not the result of any intentional release.

But no other witnesses have emerged aside from the brothers themselves who seem likely to be able to shed light on the exact sequence of events, from the moment of the escape and attack just after 5 p.m. to the apparent chase that ensued.

After killing the teenager, the tiger followed a trail of blood left by Kulbir Dhaliwal about 300 yards to the cafe, where the cat mauled both brothers before officers gunned it down, police said.

The zoo is scheduled to reopen Thursday.

ABSOLUTELY ! - and I hope America is far more sensible than the UK on these matters, where over here you would get some slimy scumbag lawyer attempting to sue the Zoo for damages to his poor defenceless innocent clients :thumbdown:

they most likely will sue

If it is true that these morons were flicking their slingshots at a TIGER then this story ranks right up there with the Crocodile Hunter getting zapped by a stingray in the funny in an odd kinda way (as in they got what they asked for) department.

if they were shooting the tiger with the slingshots they got what they deserved

do you honestly believe that? you believe that a seventeen year old kid deserves to be mauled to death for playing with a sling shot...? c'mon.

im not saying that its right, and yeah, its pretty disgusting to fire a slingshot at an animal in a cage...but hell, poor kid doesnt deserve to die...

There have been other reports that they lured the Tiger closer to them with beefjerkey. If that's true then you can't feel sorry for them. They were f**king with a 300lb Tiger!! I feel sorry for the tiger. It was killed because of these losers.Screw them. The fact that they are not helping the police says it all.

do you honestly believe that? you believe that a seventeen year old kid deserves to be mauled to death for playing with a sling shot...? c'mon.

im not saying that its right, and yeah, its pretty disgusting to fire a slingshot at an animal in a cage...but hell, poor kid doesnt deserve to die...

Deserve typically means "merit" which a quick check of your good buddy Webster's will explain that "merit" is also a reward or punishment for your actions. In this case their actions merited a good butt whipping from a tiger. It's a simple law of nature.....mess with a tiger......get killed. Don't blame the tiger. It was being a tiger. That's what tigers do.

Yes, I do think its a tragedy that a kid had to lose his life for being an idiot - but it happens everyday. Check your headlines for drunk driving, drug overdose, etc. You may not like the word "deserve" but you get what you ask for when you get behind the wheel drunk.

Or slingshot a tiger.

Deserve typically means "merit" which a quick check of your good buddy Webster's will explain that "merit" is also a reward or punishment for your actions. In this case their actions merited a good butt whipping from a tiger. It's a simple law of nature.....mess with a tiger......get killed. Don't blame the tiger. It was being a tiger. That's what tigers do.

Yes, I do think its a tragedy that a kid had to lose his life for being an idiot - but it happens everyday. Check your headlines for drunk driving, drug overdose, etc. You may not like the word "deserve" but you get what you ask for when you get behind the wheel drunk.

Or slingshot a tiger.

You seem to be confusing cause and effect with merit...if one puts ones hand in boiling water one should expect to be burned but this is not to say that one merits the pain...merit infers some 'code' of expected pay back. A boy scout completes the laid out qualifications for a badge, he merits that badge...a football player has an outstanding game he merits the game ball, again, a code though less defined.

In teasing a tiger one can have certain expectations of what the effect might be but there exists no 'code' which would dictate merit or the lack of it...by using the word merit you're implying that there is some sort of tiger code that only you and the tigers know about...

...special thanks to my good buddy webster

You seem to be confusing cause and effect with merit...if one puts ones hand in boiling water one should expect to be burned but this is not to say that one merits the pain...merit infers some 'code' of expected pay back. A boy scout completes the laid out qualifications for a badge, he merits that badge...a football player has an outstanding game he merits the game ball, again, a code though less defined.

In teasing a tiger one can have certain expectations of what the effect might be but there exists no 'code' which would dictate merit or the lack of it...by using the word merit you're implying that there is some sort of tiger code that only you and the tigers know about...

...special thanks to my good buddy webster

This whole thing depresses me beyond all measure. That an endangered tiger should meet her end because some little shits decided to tease her is just about the most devastatingly sad thing I've ever heard. I really can't deal with this revoltingly casual human depravity. And yes, I personally do think that if you are such an "idiot" as to tease a tiger, you, as a certifiable asshole, deserve to die--the fewer we have of those on this planet, the better. There are instances of immature stupidity that would not "merit" death, but this is really NOT one of them.

I think zoos in some form need to exist so that they can continue to help endangered species, but I don't think they should be as open to the public as they are or as geared to exhibition as they have traditionally been. They should be run as dedicated charitable institutions that might allow donors and other visitors to observe the animals in their protection under highly controlled and supervised circumstances. Hopefully that would prevent things like this most recent horror from happening.

This whole thing depresses me beyond all measure. That an endangered tiger should meet her end because some little shits decided to tease her is just about the most devastatingly sad thing I've ever heard. I really can't deal with this revoltingly casual human depravity. And yes, I personally do think that if you are such an "idiot" as to tease a tiger, you, as a certifiable asshole, deserve to die--the fewer we have of those on this planet, the better. There are instances of immature stupidity that would not "merit" death, but this is really NOT one of them.

I think zoos in some form need to exist so that they can continue to help endangered species, but I don't think they should be as open to the public as they are or as geared to exhibition as they have traditionally been. They should be run as dedicated charitable institutions that might allow donors and other visitors to observe the animals in their protection under highly controlled and supervised circumstances. Hopefully that would prevent things like this most recent horror from happening.

my post really wasnt about how i feel about the situation, more a response to him calling me out on my choice of words, so im not sure why you quoted me...

but ya, its awful what happened...but wouldnt it have been great if neither the 17 year old boy or the endangered tiger had to die...? surely there are ways to learn lessons besides death...

Archived