On What Songs Did Jimmy Use A Tele.

JMGuitar

I know many say that he used a tele on STH Solo and all of the 1st album, and a Stratocaster on Ten Years Gone but doesn’t anybody think he used one on any other songs. To me on some songs it seems a little twangier than others, which to me means single-coils but I’m not sure.

Jimmy sometimes used several different guitars on a single tune, the guitar army. So he used the Tele on every album, used the Strat extensively from HOTH on, and the LP of course. Achiiles is a great example of that as he uses his LP, Tele, and I believe a Strat as well for some of the rhythm work. TYG he uses all kinds of guitars, 2 different Teles, LP, Strat, Martin D26, oh my.

Bonus Round: Jimmy used a Flying V to record You Shook Me, the only time he used that guitar. I don't know why he did not use the Flying V after that as his tone and presence on YSM is incredible.

Yeah I also think the reason he didn’t use the tele live was because of the single coils but if you watch one of the ten years gone videos from late 70s maybe 1980 it doesn’t seem to have a problem with noise or static.

43 minutes ago, JMGuitar said:

Yeah I also think the reason he didn’t use the tele live was because of the single coils but if you watch one of the ten years gone videos from late 70s maybe 1980 it doesn’t seem to have a problem with noise or static.

He started using the Tele live in 77' on. In 77' he used it exclusively for TYG and in 79'-80' he used it for Hot Dog & AML as well. He also used the Strat at two of the EC shows (the 18th & 23rd) for NQ & OTHAFA. I commented that the NQ at both of these shows were two of the best ever done and Jimmy in particular was incredible. I prefer the Strat on both NQ & OTHAFA vs. the LP but to do NQ really right they would have needed an extra guitarist playing the LP for the riff and rhythm and Jimmy on the Strat to support the riff and for the solo work.

Yeah, the Flying V thing I found out about only a few years back, kinda blew my mind.

16 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I don't know why he did not use the Flying V after that as his tone and presence on YSM is incredible.

Jimmy Page from Guitar World June 2014:

A debate has raged for many years on what electric guitars were used on the first album.

It’s hard for people to believe, but I just used my Fender Telecaster for the entire album, except for one track. Somebody was trying to sell me a Gibson Flying V at the time. I don’t what made them think I could afford it, because I clearly couldn’t, but I asked them if I could just try it out. I brought it into Olympic and used it on “You Shook Me.” With those big humbuckers, it was so powerful you can hear it breaking up the amp in the middle of the song. I could’ve tidied it up, but I really liked hearing the amp really struggle to get the sound out. It’s really fighting through the electronics to get out of that speaker. I’m not sure what happened to the guitar. It might’ve found its way to Keith Richards or something, but I really don’t know.

28 minutes ago, mickey g said:

Jimmy Page from Guitar World June 2014:

A debate has raged for many years on what electric guitars were used on the first album.

It’s hard for people to believe, but I just used my Fender Telecaster for the entire album, except for one track. Somebody was trying to sell me a Gibson Flying V at the time. I don’t what made them think I could afford it, because I clearly couldn’t, but I asked them if I could just try it out. I brought it into Olympic and used it on “You Shook Me.” With those big humbuckers, it was so powerful you can hear it breaking up the amp in the middle of the song. I could’ve tidied it up, but I really liked hearing the amp really struggle to get the sound out. It’s really fighting through the electronics to get out of that speaker. I’m not sure what happened to the guitar. It might’ve found its way to Keith Richards or something, but I really don’t know.

Oh please Jimmy, you could not afford a $345 (actual price of a Flying V in 1968) guitar but could afford that house in Pangbourne?

Yep, led wallet alright. I am sure Joe Walsh's backside is still hurting from Jimmy bartering his bum into the ground for the legendary #1 LP which he paid $500 for just six months later.