Reactions

I guess that YouTube channels featuring people reacting to their first time listening to various music have become very popular.  But when, via algorithm suggestions (I guess), I get suggestions that feature people watching Zep, I sometimes cringe.  Please don't watch DAC live and try to judge Zep by that.  You really have to be STONED.  And if you're not, you're NOT going to get it.  Not throwing shade on the musicianship, but it's just a thing,  ya know?  I can dig it now, scrait (never go "straight," go scrait, yes?) but to be exposed to it for the first time, and scrait, no way.  It's just not going to work.  Even the studio version is best listened to with a bit of a bent mind.  One can certainly gain, scrait, an appreciation without being a bit stoned but it would require several listenings and most people, if they don't get it the first time, won't give it a second chance.  Great Gig in the Sky?  Same thing.  Anything on Bridge of Sighs?  Same thing (unless you're a guitarist!!).

1 hour ago, rose62 said:

I guess that YouTube channels featuring people reacting to their first time listening to various music have become very popular.  But when, via algorithm suggestions (I guess), I get suggestions that feature people watching Zep, I sometimes cringe.  Please don't watch DAC live and try to judge Zep by that.  You really have to be STONED.  And if you're not, you're NOT going to get it.  Not throwing shade on the musicianship, but it's just a thing,  ya know?  I can dig it now, scrait (never go "straight," go scrait, yes?) but to be exposed to it for the first time, and scrait, no way.  It's just not going to work.  Even the studio version is best listened to with a bit of a bent mind.  One can certainly gain, scrait, an appreciation without being a bit stoned but it would require several listenings and most people, if they don't get it the first time, won't give it a second chance.  Great Gig in the Sky?  Same thing.  Anything on Bridge of Sighs?  Same thing (unless you're a guitarist!!).

I get what you're saying, but yes and no. I think people can well appreciate Dazed without an altered mind. It's a GREAT rock song that represents the '70's rock feel perfectly and ages very well and some of the reactions are pretty cool and seem genuine. I've seen a few that are not cringey at all. And keep in mind, not everyone smokes, or needs/wants to. Just like some people (me) have an issue with alcohol, some have an issue with pot, or it just doesn't interest them. It's not for everyone. Personally, I get shit tons more out of Zep's heavy hitters like Dazed when baked, it's a completely different and deeper experience so I get what you're saying, but I would be very mindful that this is not true for everyone. You can enjoy Zep straight no problem. If you partake in pot, then fuck yeah, it's mind blowing (TSRTS is insane when stoned). STB and some others have some pretty cool reactions to D&C. They enjoy it deeply and just aren't into pot.

It's all good!

You're right, of course, and I haven't smoked in decades.  But when these albums came out I liberally participated in the scene and can attest to the "trip" that these songs were when high.  But I feel that some of the things that makes them enjoyable to me now is the context, the history and the personalities.  These guys were releasing albums all through my teens and every one was an event.  If you don't have that I can understand that they could be difficult or impossible for some, to appreciate.