Listen to Peter Green

kidmoon

Great to see a Peter Green thread here, he is one of the best blues guitarists of all time, saw him play live in my local area 4 years ago with the 'Splinter Group,' was the first ever gig I went to and what an artist to start off with!

If you want a great album by him get the album "Hard Road" with John Mayall, his best playing IMO, the best track of his career, "Out of Reach" is on the expanded version of that album.

Shame he is still having psychological issues and isnt doing anything musical any more. :(

Great to see a Peter Green thread here, he is one of the best blues guitarists of all time, saw him play live in my local area 4 years ago with the 'Splinter Group,' was the first ever gig I went to and what an artist to start off with!

If you want a great album by him get the album "Hard Road" with John Mayall, his best playing IMO, the best track of his career, "Out of Reach" is on the expanded version of that album.

Shame he is still having psychological issues and isnt doing anything musical any more. :(

Thanks for the recommendation. Downloading it now!

I recomend all the Blue Horizon albums with Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, awesome stuff! Of course, Then Play On is just as great as the BH albums, so purchase that one too while you're at it.

Try and find the song "Curly", the single version, with Green and Bluesbreakers. The story goes, Greeny got some studio time as birthday present from John Mayall. Greeny asked the rest of The Bluesbreakers (Ansley Dunbar & John McVie) to join him for a jam. They recorded "Curly", a frantic 5 minute long instrumental blues jam and later released it as a single with The Bluesbreakers. "Curly" has been released on some John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers compilations too, but most versions has unfortunatly been shortned.

I'm an avid reader of magazines on the stands and there was an interview with Peter Green not that long ago where he gave his side of the story for his, um, inactivity. According to him, it all makes perfect sense, and that he is so much of a blues purist that he is living the vagabond blues life, not just playing the blues music like a poseur. Take that for what you will, but on the printed page at least, his recollections were clear and his words coherent.

I'm an avid reader of magazines on the stands and there was an interview with Peter Green not that long ago where he gave his side of the story for his, um, inactivity. According to him, it all makes perfect sense, and that he is so much of a blues purist that he is living the vagabond blues life, not just playing the blues music like a poseur. Take that for what you will, but on the printed page at least, his recollections were clear and his words coherent.

Yeah, I wasnt having a go at him or anything but from what I've read his inactivity points to his previous mental illness. He did do a gig in Norway in 2005 which is avaliable on CD now, he was billed with a band called "The British Blues Allstars" or something similar to that.

Seeing he doesnt do a lot of interviews I guess people can only guess stuff as with Axl Rose and other artists who arent always in magazines,touring etc.

On Wikipedia it says:

"Green has said that the medication he takes to treat his psychological problems makes it hard for him to concentrate and saps his desire to pick up a guitar; whether there will be any more public ventures remains to be seen."

Wikipedia is unreliable though.

Also, according to wikipedia it says that Peter Green played on Peter Gabriel's 2002 album "Up," doesnt say which track though. Can anyone confirm this - would be great if its true as they are two of my favourite artists.

No talk of the famously unfamous Peter Green LPaul?

Cool. The dudes about his playing anyway, not his gear.

That is an awsome guitar, Gary Moore (another British blues virtuoso of Thin Lizzy fame) owned for a while and recorded with it because Peter Green gave it to him, he sold it recently though. He did record a Peter Green tribute album called "Blues for Greeny" with that guitar along with other albums.

When I saw Peter Green in '03 he was using a Fender Strat, not a Les Paul as he did back in the day.

A company called "Vintage" do a copy of the guitar foraround £300 but the finish is awful (on this copy not the real thing obviously) when you see it face to face.

You can buy custom Peter Green/Gary Moore pickups but they cost an awful lot...http://www.wcrguitar.com/mooregreen.html

Archived