What is Four Sticks about?

On 3/16/2022 at 3:05 PM, mrlowry said:

According to Wikipedia it's about 4 minutes 42 seconds.  But seriously I have always thought of Robert Plant's voice as another instrument in the band.  The lyrics for most of Zeppelin's songs aren't very profound, just kinda there which all you really need when the music and voice are that unbelievable.  Before anyone gets on my case Led Zeppelin is my all-time favorite band and it isn't even close.  

I am not saying this directly to you, or to be argumentative. But I feel that Robert has always been grossly underrated as a song writer. He wrote some incredible songs, far too many to list. TYG, Kashmir, Rover, Rain Song, ITE, and really most songs off of ITTOD, sick again, hell way too many to go over. From Led Zeppelin III on he crushed it for me lyrically. Certainly he also wrote some kick ass rock songs. With the riffs and foundations that the band was laying down, it couldn’t have called for some Bob Dylan type lyrics. That has to be said. For all the Beatles Fans, Helter Skelter was about a water amusement park ride. That’s facts. And many of their lyrics and songs were absolutely bubble gum and or about nothing. They did have some amazing songs as well. But it has to be stated that with black dog, or Dazed or Whole Lotta Love you can’t have some brilliant amazingly profound lyrics with those beats. It just can’t work. But his lyrics to me were always spot on. And he has continued to grow throughout his career. 

Just my opinion, Cheers. 

The narrator wants to brake up with his companies and go his own way. Its a downward spiral. that he is no longer headed to heaven, but for the river Styx..  hence "when the owls cry in the night " and the observation that the rainbows end ..its just a den for those who...hide their loves to depths of lies . The end of the song confirms that the journey is ,in reality. a failure, as if the dream had degenerated little by little into a nightmare, as a result of determined opposition from other people ...they cant hold the wrath of those  who walk ...

Led Zeppelin - All the songs - The story behind every track by Jean-Michel Guesdon & Philippe Margotin page 278