Date and location of Plant photo?

ListenToThis

Steve, Sam, I was hoping you may be able to help me identify the date and location of this photo. I love the '80 tour and this shot likely was taken at that time. It could however be later in the year after Plant's return to England in July as his hair seems a little longer than during the tour. There are a few photos from September '80 of Plant where it can plainly be seen he was growing his hair out again, perhaps to assume a slightly scaled down but still rock-God like presence for the upcoming America jaunt. Thank you for any help you can provide!

8d51547ccd77585c3a61c1a565f90251.jpg

6 minutes ago, ListenToThis said:

Thank you Steve. Something just made me think it was after the tour but very likely before 1980/09/25. Please let me know what you find

It's highly unlikely he would have worn any Led Zeppelin clothing after September 25, 1980, at least not for several years. I have found the image on file in my archive but there are no date or location details. The file properties suggest it was archived in October 2016 -- perhaps it began to circulate at that time.

I hesitate to mention this because I'm going from memory, but that could be the entrance to the Mannheimer Hof hotel in Mannheim, or possibly the Hotel Intercontinental in Frankfurt or one of the other hotels they stayed at while in Germany during the Over Europe '80 tour. I'll see if I can match it to one of the hotels from that tour.

12507190_911690595594014_4503818310765126613_n.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

I agree about after 09/25 - "the patches have already come off the jackets"

I heavily seek out photos of the band members between 07/07 and 09/25 - don't ask me why, it just interests me. I have a couple of Bonham and two of Plant on 09/17. Do you have any in your archive that you wouldn't mind sharing with me here or in a PM? 

Thanks again

Just now, ListenToThis said:

I agree about after 09/25 - "the patches have already come off the jackets"

I heavily seek out photos of the band members between 07/07 and 09/25 - don't ask me why, it just interests me. I have a couple of Bonham and two of Plant on 09/17. Do you have any in your archive that you wouldn't mind sharing with me here or in a PM? 

Thanks again

I probably do and I would share them. My problem is sometimes I speak from memory when I should remain silent and do the digging. I'm sorry I suggested the Midlands, though it still could be. However, as I thought about it it's more likely he would wear that on the tour, and be photographed exiting a hotel on the '80 tour.

Yes, the front facade matches. I believe Plant checked out and left shortly after the 07/03 show and was Chauferred during the night to Munich. He found Mannheim to be quite boring. Jones and Bonham departed the following day and as you stated Jimmy on 07/05.

2 hours ago, ListenToThis said:

Yes, the front facade matches. I believe Plant checked out and left shortly after the 07/03 show and was Chauferred during the night to Munich. He found Mannheim to be quite boring. Jones and Bonham departed the following day and as you stated Jimmy on 07/05.

Yes, absolutely correct. Robert was bored and restless in Mannheim and left for Munich at the first opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...