Johnny Depp mentions LZ in new Rolling Stone

These are two of the questions from it. I just kinda thought the bit about cursing Jimmy Page is funny. I remember thinking the same thing when I learned to play Stairway. :P And for those who don't know, Depp was in a band for several years before realizing the band wasn't going anywhere and succumbing to the acting bug.

Johnny Depp Sings

After belting for the first time in "Sweeney Todd," Depp rocks out on his life in music

GAVIN EDWARDS

Posted Jan 09, 2008 5:46 AM

What was the first song you could play through?

Every kid with a guitar at that time, the first things that came up were almost always "Smoke on the Water," obviously, and "25 or 6 to 4," by Chicago. But the first song I played all the way through must have been "Stairway to Heaven." I remember getting through the fingerpicking and just cursing Jimmy Page.

What was your first band?

When I was about thirteen, I got together with some other kids in the neighborhood. This one guy had a bass, we knew a guy who had a PA system, we made our own lights. It was really ramshackle and great. We'd play at people's backyard parties. Everything from the Beatles to Led Zeppelin to Cheap Trick to Devo — and "Johnny B. Goode" was the closer.

Wow, that is so cool!! Thanks for sharing. I wonder if he has ever met Page or Plant? Besides Zeppelin, Johnny Depp is my other obsession!! :D

Me too! Johnny is the BEST actor. Anyone who's seen all of his movies knows. He can play ANY part. And I LOVE HIM......

Me too! Johnny is the BEST actor. Anyone who's seen all of his movies knows. He can play ANY part. And I LOVE HIM......

I agree totally!! He is just a brilliant actor.

There was a band that Johnny Depp was once in that ended up opening shows on Jimmy Page's Outrider Tour.

Really? That is so cool! The name of his band was called The Kids and he has mentioned in an interview that they once opened up for Chuck Berry, Iggy Pop, the B-52's and The Pretenders.

There was a band that Johnny Depp was once in that ended up opening shows on Jimmy Page's Outrider Tour.

Wow I didn't know they opened for him! Learn something new every day. It's kinda sad that I've been in nonstop lectures for the past ten hours and it's pretty much the only thing I've learned today, though...

Anyway, ditto on loving the Depp. I'm going out of my mind because I still haven't seen Sweeney Todd. (It's a long story that you don't want to hear.) I think I'm finally going on Thursday, but it's not soon enough.

I'm way off topic. Page/Depp = cool! Can you imagine seeing them on the same day? I think a lot of women could die happy at that point... myself included.

I frequently forget it's him halfway through a movie, for example Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. He could have spent 5 years after 21 Jump Street playing pretty boy...but no.. on to John Waters.

In addition to astute choices as an actor, he exhibited good taste in choosing bands. In the early 90's he was involved in running a club called the Viper Room, and invited Boston underground sensations Spore to play a show. How did he even know about them??

I think he is heading towards darker roles. His Willy Wonka struck me as being a blend of Jack White and Michael Jackson.