Iceland

custard pie man

4 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

You would have been perfectly safe but you missed one of the world's biggest and rarest spectacle. It looks spectacular to say the least.

funny thing is they positioned blue lagoon twice on us because its close proximity to volcano and we flew home late saturday and monday they were to open lagoon and monday nite was the eruption, was only worried about ash and grounding of flights, would of been cool to see

They are really cool.  When I went to Iceland in May 2021, my flight to N. Iceland was cancelled due to not enough people on the flight (it was during Covid).  The travel agency I was working with asked if I'd like to see the volcano instead.  At first I didn't want to since I tried that on the Big Island of Hawaii years ago and they stopped you about 2 miles from the volcano, pointed to a little red dot and said "There it is!"  However, in Iceland they let you get to within 300 meters of the damn thing and it was spectacular!

image.thumb.jpeg.b64aefdf65872c02cd323a74f7820faf.jpeg

This was in the news this afternoon:

But the eruption is thought to be more serious than a previous bout of volcanic activity on the peninsula in March 2021.

The activity continued for six months during that year, prompting thousands of Icelanders and tourists to visit the scene and an Icelandic band to perform a live gig with lava in the background.

Hjálmar Hallgrímsson, a police field commander, said, “We ask people to allow us to assess the situation, this is not a tourist attraction. This is many times more powerful.”

This “is not considered tourist-friendly,” said Magnus Tumi Gudmundsson, a professor of geophysics at the University of Iceland.

“It’s quite serious when you have to evacuate 3,700 people and you don’t know when they can return.”

“This is not a tourist attraction and you must watch it from a great distance,” Vidir Reynisson, head of Iceland’s Civil Protection and Emergency Management, told broadcaster RUV.

• 1 month later...