Anyone suggest a good recording device?

redeyedrichard

I am looking for a smallish recording device to capture jam sessions on. For years we have been using a tape deck and been recording onto tape. It takes too long for me to set up additional mics hooked up to my laptop just for the sake of a quick demo take.

Any suggestions on handheld/8-track recording devices.

I have been looking at this:

9661d477cc79f159caa3807d946d8305.jpg

Check the specs at: Dolphin Music

We might get this one...but has anyone else got any suggestions or recommendations. I've been taking little sound clips on my mobile phone recently because the tape deck is screwed. :lol:

That Zoom looks pretty neat. I listed a few others that look good.

I like the looks af the Micro BR its got amp and mic simulation and a rhythm/drum machine.

Micro BR Digital Multitrack Recorder

MR8 MKII 8 Track Digital Multitrack Recorder

Zoom MRS8

Cheers Uncle Bill. I had a good read of some of that.

There are some great devices out there right now....

BUT GUESS WHAT....

Literally an hour ago I ordered a ZOOM H4!! :yay:

After reading all of that stuff about the Edirol though I might have made a mistake. However I picked my H4 up off of eBay brand new for...

...wait for it...

... £161.50!!!!!! Compare that to Soundcontrol's price tag of £219 and Dolphin Music's price tag of £199.

There cannot be much difference between the H4 and the Edirol...but for a difference of nearly £100 then I am pretty pleased.

I will let you know what I think of it. The reviews I read are very favourable. By the way...if you live in the UK there is another H4 going for that price on eBay right now. Looks like a handy piece of kit. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the posts people.

I got the Zoom H4 about 3 months ago - I really like it...it is very easy to use(I use it to record my band's practices and shows). The built-in mics sound really great. My only gripes are that the input levels on the mics are not easy to adjust on the fly and you cannot create track marks without inputing into a computer program. For instance, if I recorded my band's 45 minute set, it comes in 1 long track that I have to go back and edit.

I highly recommend upgrading the soundcard to 4 GB, it is well worth it. I also love the portability of it and the sound is excellent. The interface is pretty easy to use and the upload into computer takes a few minutes. All in all, a great piece of equiptment...although, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody came out with an improved portable device soon.

I got the Zoom H4 about 3 months ago - I really like it...it is very easy to use(I use it to record my band's practices and shows). The built-in mics sound really great. My only gripes are that the input levels on the mics are not easy to adjust on the fly and you cannot create track marks without inputing into a computer program. For instance, if I recorded my band's 45 minute set, it comes in 1 long track that I have to go back and edit.

I highly recommend upgrading the soundcard to 4 GB, it is well worth it. I also love the portability of it and the sound is excellent. The interface is pretty easy to use and the upload into computer takes a few minutes. All in all, a great piece of equiptment...although, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody came out with an improved portable device soon.

Thanks mate. I have read a number of reviews and it seems to me like I have made a good buy. It should arrive within the next couple of days. Great first post by the way. Glad you could join us all over here. :thumbsup:

Archived