Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane a neighbor (of sorts)

motherhen

I found this by accident the other day and I think I read somewhere on here (or not) that Zepp was influenced by Jefferson Airplane. Anyhow I found this site about one of the founding members having a music workshop in our local area...mind you this is a tiny little rural town where nothing ever happens...ever! Check it out ...its kinda interesting for those who play instruments. I still cant believe I have never heard anything about this place at all.

Fur Peace Ranch

I found this by accident the other day and I think I read somewhere on here (or not) that Zepp was influenced by Jefferson Airplane. Anyhow I found this site about one of the founding members having a music workshop in our local area...mind you this is a tiny little rural town where nothing ever happens...ever! Check it out ...its kinda interesting for those who play instruments. I still cant believe I have never heard anything about this place at all.

Fur Peace Ranch

Wow, it's so cool that you're close to Jorma! I love Jorma. He's one of my all-time faves. :D

Wow, it's so cool that you're close to Jorma! I love Jorma. He's one of my all-time faves. :D

Yeah, I just found this link the other day...I dont remember what I was even looking for...it might have been on the local news website. I am definately going up there this summer to check things out. My son plays guitar some and I showed him the site. He said he would love to do a workshop but its more than he can afford. The thing that blows my mind is that its not more publicized and that someone so famous has a music retreat in such a small, small town. I bet the population of Pomeroy, Ohio isnt even 2,500 people. Looking around the website it looks really cool. Living here this is woods and country area, its really beautiful here if you like nature.

Yeah, I just found this link the other day...I dont remember what I was even looking for...it might have been on the local news website. I am definately going up there this summer to check things out. My son plays guitar some and I showed him the site. He said he would love to do a workshop but its more than he can afford. The thing that blows my mind is that its not more publicized and that someone so famous has a music retreat in such a small, small town. I bet the population of Pomeroy, Ohio isnt even 2,500 people. Looking around the website it looks really cool. Living here this is woods and country area, its really beautiful here if you like nature.

It sounds like a nice place. :D

I bet it isn't publicized more so that the workshop remains small and intimate, you know? That probably makes it all the better. A small group of folks as opposed a mass of humanity. :)

It sounds like a nice place. :D

I bet it isn't publicized more so that the workshop remains small and intimate, you know? That probably makes it all the better. A small group of folks as opposed a mass of humanity. :)

Agree and makes sense.

Fur Peace Ranch

Thanks for sharing!

One of my favorite guitarists too! A very unique and incredible sound. :D

Jefferson Airplane and Zep are among my favorite groups - but I can see little influence from one to the other (especially vocals and drumming style). Jorma Kaukonen is extremely proficient on electric and acoustic guitar, where he draws influence from the earliest of American blues artists. Jack Casady, lifelong friend of Jorma's and bandmate in JA and Hot Tuna, is my favorite bassist. Hot Tuna still tours, doing electric and / or acoustic shows - and I would highly recommend seeing them.

I have not been to the Fur Peach Ranch, but heard the experience there is excellent for all ages. Many accomplished musicians teach there, as do Jorma and Jack. They have a concert hall, sleeping cabins, and serve great meals. The students are encouraged to interact with each other, like family. No drugs or alcohol are permitted on the premises.

Well, someone mentioned their son might like to go there - so I thought it might be relavant. Probably cigarettes are O.K. - the grounds are huge and there's a porch and tables to hang out around. It's not a concentration camp, by any means - but most students go there with serious intentions.

Well, someone mentioned their son might like to go there - so I thought it might be relavant. Probably cigarettes are O.K. - the grounds are huge and there's a porch and tables to hang out around. It's not a concentration camp, by any means - but most students go there with serious intentions.

Anyone interested in the workshops really should check out the whole site. My son is the one interested in the workshops but fees are more than he can afford at this time.

My family on both maternal and paternal sides are musically talented. My father plays several types of guitars...bass, electric and acoustic. His father played all those along with the fiddle. On my mother's side I have a cousin who has played in bands while living and performing in Branson Missouri--he plays everything...drums, guitars, banjo, harmonica and basically anything he picks up he can play. He plays bluegrass, country and classic rock...very good at it too if I might add. No one has become famous...they just love to play.

Archived