How come shops in Japan can openly sell bootlegs?

ISIS

Jimmy seems to draw a fine line on this issue:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotlan...est/6970651.stm

Some material that was stolen from his house wound up on bootlegs and he can't be thrilled with that.

He actually had to buy back bootlegged materials to complete the DVD.

Maybe when they buy bootlegs they aren't so much endorsing it as getting an ego boost from seeing the level of interest. Hard to say.

Jimmy seems to draw a fine line on this issue:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotlan...est/6970651.stm

Some material that was stolen from his house wound up on bootlegs and he can't be thrilled with that.

He actually had to buy back bootlegged materials to complete the DVD.

Maybe when they buy bootlegs they aren't so much endorsing it as getting an ego boost from seeing the level of interest. Hard to say.

Thanks for the link very interesting, still dosen't explain how they get away with it in Japan though.

I believe bands have to expressly prohibit a bootleg being sold in order for the sellers to get in trouble. I think that Japan's copyright rules are pretty lax, and the amount of material being sold is a pain in the ass to deal with for most people. I believe Jimmy is ok with most of it, he seems to draw the line at: Is this obviously a bootleg? then it's ok. Is this a bootleg that someone could mistake as an official band release? then I'm not ok with this being sold. he seems more concerned with making sure that those who buy bootlegs know that it's a bootleg and don't expect it to be a high quality live recording that has been remixed and cleaned up by professionals employed by the band. plus it's good advertising, Led Zeppelin isn't losing any money from the sale of live bootlegs, it's not as if they're selling a legit official version of the Japan tour expressly released by the band with profits going to them and the bootleggers are outselling them and stealing profits.

I used to work in a Montreal record store in the 1980s which sold bootlegs openly. Even record company reps came to us to buy some for their own collections.

The store was finally busted a few years ago, but that's because the store started importing large quantities for re-distribution.

Back then, I think the attitude of the RCMP had been:

a) Should we put ressources on bootleg recordings when we have to chase terrorists and drug dealers.

B) Are the victims being impacted in such a way that it demands immediate action.

c) Piracy (cheap copies of existing official merch) costs the economy a lot more that bootlegs.

d) What's a bootleg anyway.

If the RCMP felt that way, it's safe to say the FBI, the Japanese police and many others feel the same way: it's a low priority issue.

Archived