Gig advice

The Bomber

OK,here's how it works,list out any upcoming gigs and other people here who have seen that act live can give you info about how good they are

I have 2 gigs coming up:

Bruce Springsteen in the RDS Dublin (Big venue) 25/5/08 OR 5/25/08 (If you're American)

Eric Clapton in The Marquee Cork (Little venue) 20/6/08 OR 6/20/08 (If you're American)

Can anyone advise me about the quality of these guy's?I love 'em both and it would be quite disillusioning to see a bad gig out of them,anyone seen them live?If so how about how well they play in those kinds of venues?If anyone has a query then just post it.

You're very lucky - they should be two storming gigs. I have seen both in both large and snall venues and they can both handle both without a problem. Enjoy! And if you were looking for more specific info - ask away!

I agree with Knebby though I've only seen Bruce in large arenas. Puts on a hell of a show. The energy of him and the band, along with the crowd will not leave you disappointed. As far as large arenas and Clapton, I've seen at him do short sets at festivals, but I did see him in a tiny club years ago. He was just doing some warm up dates and did mostly blues covers and some of his own songs. It was one of the best shows I'd ever seen.

Lucky you. Have a great time and report back the details!

You're very lucky - they should be two storming gigs. I have seen both in both large and snall venues and they can both handle both without a problem. Enjoy! And if you were looking for more specific info - ask away!

I agree with Knebby though I've only seen Bruce in large arenas. Puts on a hell of a show. The energy of him and the band, along with the crowd will not leave you disappointed. As far as large arenas and Clapton, I've seen at him do short sets at festivals, but I did see him in a tiny club years ago. He was just doing some warm up dates and did mostly blues covers and some of his own songs. It was one of the best shows I'd ever seen.

Lucky you. Have a great time and report back the details!

Thanks!!!I just like to know,does Brucey still pput on a 4-hour show?And how long is the Clappton show gonna be? (If you could give an estimate) It's not a tiny venue,The Who played there last year (Damn!I missed it!) And both Bob Dylan And Robert Plant played there the year before that (I was PISSED when i missed those) Does Clapton do any Cream songs?I heard that he played lots of Derek And The Dominoes last time he toured,would he play stuff from his entire career or just the solo stuff?

And this thread isn't just about me,anyone with a gig question,just post it.

Hi Bomber, I've seen both Springsteen and Clapton multiple times over the past 30+ years. Smallest venue was 500 people for Springsteen and largest venues were something like 40k people for each of those artists. My husband and I will see both artists whenever they play at venues within a day's driving distance of where we live.The only time I saw either one perform a less than stellar show was Clapton; but that was back in the 70's when he was struggling with his addictions. But, my husband and I saw Clapton just last year and he put on a fantastic two hour show! There were probably 10k people in the audience, which was great. Clapton didn't play by himself for the full two hours. he was accompanied by Derek Trucks, Doyle Bramhall, and others. There were two woman vocalists as well. He played "Little Wing"! I have the full setlist and can PM it to you, if you're interested. We saw Springsteen about 3 years ago and he still has it...tremendous energy and passion. My husband is not a Springsteen fan but he humors me by taking me to his concerts. He always leaves energized because Springsteen is that kind of artist. Based on my own experiences, I imagine that you are going to love both concerts. Enjoy!

Hi Bomber, I've seen both Springsteen and Clapton multiple times over the past 30+ years. Smallest venue was 500 people for Springsteen and largest venues were something like 40k people for each of those artists. My husband and I will see both artists whenever they play at venues within a day's driving distance of where we live.The only time I saw either one perform a less than stellar show was Clapton; but that was back in the 70's when he was struggling with his addictions. But, my husband and I saw Clapton just last year and he put on a fantastic two hour show! There were probably 10k people in the audience, which was great. Clapton didn't play by himself for the full two hours. he was accompanied by Derek Trucks, Doyle Bramhall, and others. There were two woman vocalists as well. He played "Little Wing"! I have the full setlist and can PM it to you, if you're interested. We saw Springsteen about 3 years ago and he still has it...tremendous energy and passion. My husband is not a Springsteen fan but he humors me by taking me to his concerts. He always leaves energized because Springsteen is that kind of artist. Based on my own experiences, I imagine that you are going to love both concerts. Enjoy!

That would be helpful if you could PM it to me,Little Wing would sound great out of Clapton's slow hands!Me and my friends are pretty psyched up for it,he never comes to Ireland!And it's one of them's 1st gig,i imagine he will not be disappointed.And as for Bruce,Magic rocks!I really hope he can still pull a 4-hour show out of the bag.I'd particularly like to hear Tears In Heaven from Clapton and Born To Run from Bruce,do they still play those?

That would be helpful if you could PM it to me,Little Wing would sound great out of Clapton's slow hands!Me and my friends are pretty psyched up for it,he never comes to Ireland!And it's one of them's 1st gig,i imagine he will not be disappointed.And as for Bruce,Magic rocks!I really hope he can still pull a 4-hour show out of the bag.I'd particularly like to hear Tears In Heaven from Clapton and Born To Run from Bruce,do they still play those?

No problem at all. I'll PM you the setlist now. I think that Springsteen will have no problem at all with a 4 hour show; he's got a great band, including his wife, Patti Scialfa.

Sounds like some cool gigs MSG!

They were very cool, Knebby. That last one with Clapton was great because, although it was a rather small venue in the "hinterlands", he and his ensemble played as if it were the biggest and most important gig in the world.

That's how I felt when I saw him in a really tiny club and this was in the midst of him doing the big arena shows. I love it when artists do that!

MSG I am a bit green with envy (in a good way) at all the shows you've seen over the years! Some of my favorite bands :D

That's how I felt when I saw him in a really tiny club and this was in the midst of him doing the big arena shows. I love it when artists do that!

MSG I am a bit green with envy (in a good way) at all the shows you've seen over the years! Some of my favorite bands :D

Yes, I have tremendous respect for and admire artists who do that.

Thanks ninelives. I've been around a long time and first started attending concerts when I was 12 so there are many years of shows in those decades. I've always had a passion for music and travel so I've made a conscious effort to devote a good part of my life to those things (and happily and willingly) traded off doing other things. :D

Archived